Thread: DFM citation 1940.

Thanks

Default DFM citation 1940.

Hello,

Could someone with the Tavender DFM book please look up a citation for me please ?

Sgts. Alfred Charles Culver and Kenneth Frederick Scotney of 220 Squadron were both awarded the DFM for an action on 6 December 1939 against a Dornier flying boat. The awards were gazetted on 20 February 1940.
    They were pilot and 2nd pilot of a Hudson but primary sources - including the ORB - differ on which man was pilot or 2nd pilot. The situation is not helped by them apparently swapping positions regularly !
    I am keen to learn which duty each had as recorded in the citation.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.

Thanks

Martin

Unfortunately both men's citations are ones of small percentage that Tavender has recorded as having no trace. Alfred Charles Culver is recorded as a Leading Aircraftsman and an air observer. Kenneth Frederick Scotney is only recorded as a sergeant.

Douglas

Thanks

Martin & Douglas,
    According to "Honour the Air Forces" by Michael Maton and its reference to the London Gazette edition from 20th of February 1940 page 1055, both Culver & Scotney are mentioned as Sergeants. However no citations were published.

Regards,
    Greg

Thanks

Douglas and Greg,

Thank you both for your help. Odd that Tavender should have that rank error. The 220 Squadron ORB consistently records them as Sergeants. Also both had service numbers in the '5800..' range and these were always Sergeants.
    As an aside since my first post I have noted another crewing oddity for these two pilots. On 10 November 1939 both were in the cockpit when they engaged two Dornier 18s. If the ORB is to be believed they switched seats between engaging the two enemy aircraft ! Was this a common practice I wonder ? ( I am aware of extra pilots on board Sunderlands, etc.).

Regards,

Martin.

Thanks

Martin

I think this action is mentioned in RAF Coastal Command in Action, 1939-1945 - Page 5

By Roy Conyers Nesbit I can see it on google books perhaps someone here has the book? I will see if I can pull out the paragraph from google books where I saw it

Paul

Thanks

From Google books

RAF Coastal Command in Action, 1939-1945 - Page 5
    Roy Conyers Nesbit, ‎Oliver Hoare - 1997
    This Dornier D0I8D flying boat, radio code K.6+DL works
    number 0804, of 3/Kustenfliegergruppe 406, landed heavily in the North Sea on 10 November 1939 after an
    an air battle with two Hudsons of 220 Squadron from Thornaby, flown by Sgt. Kenneth F. Scotney
    and Flt. Lt. Harold W.A. Sheahen.
    Sheahen's Hudson was hit in the engagement and he flew it back to Thornaby.
    The second pilot in Scotney's Hudson, Sgt. Alfred C. Culver, took over the controls and
    attacked a second Dornier flying boat in the same position.
    This flying boat disappeared into the clouds after being hit. Oberlcutnant zur See Liitjens was killed in the downed Dornier,
    but the remaining crew members were picked up by Dutch vessels. Ref: AIR 28/828

Thanks

Martin

Have you seen this

http://www.vuplayer.com/margaret/fam...time_loose.pdf

Culver has quiet a few pages on his career but no citation I am afraid!

But it implies he was First pilot and his log book still exists somewhere probably with is daughter Carol Lockwood who may also have a copy of citation ?

But there are some contact details for know put the pdf together are in it so perhaps an email may help ?
    Last edited by paulmcmillan; 23rd March 2015 at 09:03.

Thanks

Looks, like Fledgling Eagles has a wrong date ??

http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/archiv...p?t-33148.html

Thanks

Paul,

Many thanks for the links. That is a great tribute to Alfred Culver on the Loose village website. I have already obtained one name that I was looking for from it.

Regards,

Martin.