Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spitfire abandoned near Langley Park, Co. Durham, 1940, serial no. please.

Thanks

Default Spitfire abandoned near Langley Park, Co. Durham, 1940, serial no. please.

Help please, with the serial no. of a Spitfire which crashed near the above location. The pilot is believed to have baled out during a dusk patrol. Reason unknown. Possibly an aircraft from 610 Sqdn based at Acklington. The date could have been the 27th of October, 1940, but not certain.

Any ideas will be gratefully received.

TIA.

Ray

Thanks

Could it be

27.10.40 Hurricane I L1963 43 Sqn Cragburn Dean, Edmondsley, Co. Durham DIG

http://aircrashesnearstanleyandconse...k-1-l1963.html

Thanks

There was a Spitfire (Serial BL817) which crash landed at Daisy Hill but the pilot did not bale out; he survived unhurt. The confusion that has often arisen is that Daisy Hill is close to Langley Park BUT there is another Daisy Hill just a few miles away - near Consett - which is where this aircraft came down. You will find the details on the same link as that given by paulmcmillan. The pilot was F/Lt Husband of 81 Squadron.

Regards
    Neville

Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions, but none of them quite fit.

I have now found a name for the pilot; " Sgt Cooper ". Two Sgts with that surname served in 610 Squadron, Roy Norman Cooper and James Enerton Cooper.
    Roy was only with the unit from the 6th to the 11th of October, 1940, so I think it must have been James. I have not been able to find out much about him. He was killed in a flying accident on the 9th of Sept., 1941 with 91 Sqdn, when his Spitfire dived into the sea during an ASR exercise.

If anyone has further information on James Enerton Cooper I will be pleased to see it.

Thank you once again,

Ray
    Last edited by angelsonefive; 27th March 2015 at 12:11.

Thanks

Ray

Just a small snippet - the National Probate Calendar on ancestry.co.uk lists him as James Emerton Cooper, and gives his address as 9 Beech Road Luton.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

James Enerton Cooper, 745777:

1940/04/30 Joined 15 EFTS
    1940/06/17 Joined 15 FTS
    1940/08/11 Joined 15 AFTS
    1940/09/23 Joined 7 OTU
    1940/10/07 Joined 610 Sq.
    1940/10/27 Baled out safe Spitfire I
    1941/02 With 602 Sq.
    1941/03/07 Joined 91 Sq.

John Engelsted

Thanks

Hi-This Spitfire crash I have tried to identify for years and the date of this crash was on 27.10.1940 which is the same date as the crash of Hawker Hurricane L1963 which killed Leonard Vivian Toogood and it is not to be confused with this crash.I have traced a few local eyewitnesses who remember this crash and I have visited the crash scene but not the crash site as modern houses were built on the field where it crashed.Using ordnance survey maps just after the war I got these local people to mark on with a cross where the Spitfire crashed and this confirms that houses now cover the crash site as I have the Police Occurrence Book entry for this crash and a more exact crash site location was given.The pilot did bale out and he was Sergeant Cooper but I have been unable to trace him.There is no Air Ministry Form 1180 or the aircraft accident card for this crash as a search in the Air Historical Branch and the RAF Museum,London.

Philip Smith,55 Aircraft Accidents Research Group

Thanks

Hi-Following on from my reply-there is no 1180 held at the AHB and the RAF Museum,London.The Spitfire crashed at about 5PM and Sgt.Cooper from Acklington was unhurt.His service number was not given in the Police report.In case of a mistake of aircraft type a search has been done for other types such as Hurricane,Master,Defiant and Lysander etc but again no 1180 found.I even thought this Spitfire crash could have been a ferrying pilot or an ATA crash but there is no ATA aircraft accident card.This crash is in my forthcoming book.A friend remembers reading a local newspaper report in the 1950's? about aircraft wreckage being uncovered by opencast mining at Langley Park.Another Hurricane made a belly landing at Langley Park but none of the locals have no knowledge of this and this Hurricane has to be a good way off Langley Park.The pilot of this Hurricane was Canadian and he was born in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne but the crash report or the Form 765c in his RCAF service record does not give a more precise location and I have traced his family and they do not have his Pilot's Flying Log Book.I have not been able to pinpoint where this other Hawker Hurricane belly landed.

Philip Smith

Thanks

Ray

For what it's worth I have a gut feeling that the a/c you are looking for is N3264. Altho' ABS says 610S crashed at Manston 29/10/40, 610 had been at Acklington since August, not moving to Westhampnett until December! 'Aircraft for the Few' records for N3264 that it joined 610 13/10/40 and was cat E 27/10/40.

BTW there are two photographs of Sgt JE Cooper in the Osprey '91 Nigeria Squadron' book.

Have a look here, an explanation! http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforu...32528&start=30

DaveW
    Last edited by davew; 28th March 2015 at 10:03. Reason: Typo

Thanks

Thank you all for your replies so far.

I thought the following might be of interest :

"We had our frights in Langley Park too, such as when a damaged Spitfire zoomed over the village and crashed. The pilot managed to direct the burning plane into a field, beyond the houses but falling short of the hospital before bailing out. Rumour had it that his parachute brought him down into the coke works area, narrowly avoiding the top of the high chimney stack, only to be arrested as a possible German spy by the local officialdom when he landed."

From the recollections of Mr Vincent Harrison, of his boyhood in Langley Park.

Regards,

Ray