Thread: ? regarding sources mentioned at airforce.ca

Thanks

Default ? regarding sources mentioned at airforce.ca

The vast amount of information provided by Hugh Halliday at airforce.ca in the Honours and Award section have been a hugh source of information for me on Danish RCAF aircrew of WWII.

A number of references to sources is mentioned in the records that I have used, eg.
    - AFRO ###/## dated
    - protograph PL-24408
    - RCAF Press Release No.####
    - D.Hist file

Would somebody please be able to give an explaination of the character of these sources, andand - preferably - if they can be located in Canadian archives, can be accessed by people that are not next-of-kind etc.? It would be a great help in elaborating why work on Danish pilots and aircrew.

Finally, I'd like to use the opportunity to express my gratitude to Hugh Halliday for bringing this information on-line.

Mikkel Plannthin
    www.danishww2pilots.dk
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Default Sources

Many thanks for kind words. Allow me to begin with a commercial "plug" on behalf of a friend. The Air Force Association website (at least that portion re awards) has not been updated in some years, and really reflects the data as of about 2003. An expanded version appears on a CD, "Courage and Service", is available from Service Publications. Go to http://www.servicepub.com/, click on "CD-ROM Titles" and think about it.

Now, to sources and explanations.

AFRO refers to Air Force Routine Orders, and actually to something more specific, the "Supplements to Air Force Routine Orders" (also known as "green sheets" because of the colour of the paper on which they were printed). I know that a complete set is held by the Canadians Forces Directorate of History and Heritage and a near-complete set is held by the Canadian War Museum. I cannot vouch for our National Library and Archives. AFROs are not on-line.

Photo PL- refers to an official RCAF photograph held by what is now the Joint Photo Service Centre in Ottawa (I can provide more details re address if you wish).

RCAF PR - Official Press Release. Some of these I consulted at Directorate of History and Heritage in biographical files there. There is also a fairly complete set at Directorate of History and Heritage, boxed separately but difficult to use because, although fairly chronological, they are not indexed.

DHist file - Directorate of History and Heritage (formerly and simply the Directorate of History). Please note that many of the files in which you may be interested are now in the National Library and Archives of Canada, and the data base mentions this (by way of example, if the data base shows "DHist file 181.003 D.9, RG.24 Vol. 29949" it means that the former Dhist file is now in the National Library and Archives, Record Group 24, Box 29949.

All of the above are in the public domaine; open to all (family, strangers, and strage people like myself).

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by HughAHalliday; 20th May 2008 at 13:29. Reason: Added comment

Thanks

Thank you for the information on the sources. Even if the information on airforce.ca have not been updatet for some time, they have been of great value to me. Though not many Danes found their way to the RCAF some did, and I had not been able to include some of these without this information.

I need to visit Ottawa at some point I can see :-)

Mikkel Plannthin
    www.danishww2pilots.dk
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War