Thread: Flight Sargent Wilbur James Wilson W.311572 406th Squdron RCAF R/51587

Thanks

Default Flight Sargent Wilbur James Wilson W.311572 406th Squdron RCAF R/51587

Hello fellow members
    Sgt Wilbur James Wilson was a tail gunner whose plane went down over the English Channel December 27, 1942. As he wasn't discovered, there is a memorial to him at Malta War Museum in Malta. He was my mothers cousin who had just been married to Elizabeth Grace Beatty. I would very much appreciate knowing how to find out the names, dates of birth and where they were from. I have a picture of James with a number of fellow airmen and once I figure it out would like to post it here.

I thought I had sent a message thread when I signed up. May have done it wrong or before I could be registered and apologize for having to mention it.

Respectfully to all those who have served and other members

beejay777@shaw.ca

Thanks

I have looked at "they shall grow not old".

Wilson is said to have been aboard a 179 Sqn Wellington which returned to base after engine failure but was lost without trace.

The other crew were: Sgts R C Little, W R MacCosham, H W Dunn RAFVR, F/O A S Newey RAFVR. There seems to be a duplicate entry for another Wilson but this is probably a mistake.

Wilson is said to come from Harris Saskatchewan.

The squadron was based in Gibraltar with detachments at Blida and Agadir. The aircraft involved was Wellington HX638 and it ditched 100 miles south west of Cape St Vincent - this info from A/B serials.

Can you confirm that you want information about Elizabeth Beatty or are you just interested in Wilson and his crew?

Hope this gets you started

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Sgt. R51587 Wilbur James Wilson. Son of James J. Wilson and of Margaret Wilson (nee Laidler); husband of Elizabeth Grace Wilson nee Beatty, of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. Born 25 Feb 1919.

F/Sgt. R112950 Robert Caldwell Little. Son of Mr. R.H. Little, 41 Earnscliffe Road, Toronto. Born 10 Jan 1913.

F/Sgt. R95723 William Raymond MacCosham. Son of Mr. J.A. MacCosham, Cornwall, Ontario. Born 23 June 1922.

Sgt. 949763 Harold William Dunn RAFVR. Son of William Joseph Thomas Dunn and Florence Amy Dunn; husband of Frances Margaret Dunn, of Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire. Aged 26.

F/O 76248 Allan Spencer Newey RAFVR. Son of Spencer John and Mabel Newey; husband of Anne Newey, of Bassett, Hampshire. Aged 31.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thank you Dave for your excellent reply. I will attempt to send a copy of the picture my mother had of James Wilson with other airmen. Hopefully someone may put name to picture.

Regards,

Donna
    beejay777@shaw.ca

Thanks

Thank you Colin for answering my post. Will attempt to post a picture of James Wilson and other airmen to try to associate names with faces.

Regards,

Donna
    beejay777@shaw.ca