Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sgt Kelly 1804513 RAFVR

Thanks

Default Sgt Kelly 1804513 RAFVR

Good Afternoon Everyone

Seeking to identify this airman. An article of clothing bearing his name and number was found in the collective grave of the crew of Lancaster LM384 of 625 Squadron which crashed at Bledeln south of Hannover, Germany 20 February 1944. He was not a member of the crew and no Sgt. Kelly with this service number has been found in CWGC records.

Any help much appreciated.

Kind regards
    Roy Wilcock
    Aircrew Remembered

Thanks

Thinking outside of the box, one possibility is that the pants were being worn by one of the two crew members (Cartwright and Evans) who were not formally identified and whose names are recorded on the Runnymede Memorial.

As a long shot, I am wondering if the MRES report is contained in the repatriation file for the Canadian JV Pearl

As you say, a Sgt Kelly definitely appears on the concentration report, but there are no registered burials with that name.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Roy,
    1804513 is in the Block 1800001-1814800 issued at Euston between 1 Dec 1941 and 31 Dec 1942. 1804513 would (assuming (inter alia) regular number issuing) have been issued around Mar/Apr 1942. If your Kelly was 18 (+/- a year) when he Enlisted then his Birth Date would have been 1924 (+/- a year – or several!!).
    There is not – theoretically – a problem. It just needs all the Kelly’s in Air 78 looked at to see who has the Service Number of 1804513. It doesn’t come up in the LG.
    The problem is that there are a lot of Kelly’s. Could take some time!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 2nd November 2019 at 15:59.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

The MRES paperwork in the service file of J22368 F/O Jack Verner Pearl seems to indicate that R/G 1299215 Sgt TR Evans was originally identified as Sgt Kelly.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PeteT View Post
    Thinking outside of the box, one possibility is that the pants were being worn by one of the two crew members (Cartwright and Evans) who were not formally identified and whose names are recorded on the Runnymede Memorial.

As a long shot, I am wondering if the MRES report is contained in the repatriation file for the Canadian JV Pearl

As you say, a Sgt Kelly definitely appears on the concentration report, but there are no registered burials with that name.

Regards

Pete
    Thank you Pete
    Three MRES reports are in Pearl's service file. The conclusion was indeed that one of the two unaccounted airmen, probably rear gunner Evans. The Sgt Kelly on the concentrstion report would seem to be P/O. Ralph Gordon Kelly J88769 RCAF a member of the crew of Lancaster LL719 of 408 Squadron which crashed at Machern/Leipzig during the raid of 20 February 1944. His body was later recovered by Americanforces and eventually re-interred at Choloy War Cemetery in France.

Regards
    Roy

Thanks

Thank you Dave

That is quite correct. I am trying to discover the identiry of Sgt. Kelly and how an item of his clothing could have been on the person of member of the crew of LM384

Regards
    Roy

Thanks

Thank you Peter
    I have trwled through the numerous Kelly's in Air78 without success but as you say there are a lot and I may have missed him or he was one of the many illegible ones. I think I should perhaps go through them again just to be sure.

Regards
    Roy

Thanks

It would appear the 'Kelly's have been uploaded to Forces War Records but there is no hit on that service number, so maybe it has been misread, how legible is it?

Chris

Thanks

Hi there,
    May have solved your mystery.I have made an index of 625 Sqn airmen and others mentioned in the relevant AIR27 documents, and found only one 'Kelly' and one 'Kelley'.However, on looking through the rest of the K's, came across 1804513 Sgt.John Kelleher, A/G in the T.C.Slade crew, posted in to 625 Sqn wef 3/4/44 from 11 Base, to A.C.A.C. Brackla 27/10/44 at the end of his tour.Identified from AIR78/89-12, page 42.However, given the posting in date, it appears that he may not have been at the squadron at the time LM384 went missing.Regards.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MSIMPSON View Post
    Hi there,
    May have solved your mystery.I have made an index of 625 Sqn airmen and others mentioned in the relevant AIR27 documents, and found only one 'Kelly' and one 'Kelley'.However, on looking through the rest of the K's, came across 1804513 Sgt.John Kelleher, A/G in the T.C.Slade crew, posted in to 625 Sqn wef 3/4/44 from 11 Base, to A.C.A.C. Brackla 27/10/44 at the end of his tour.Identified from AIR78/89-12, page 42.However, given the posting in date, it appears that he may not have been at the squadron at the time LM384 went missing.Regards.

That's fantastic, I will definitely follow it up. Many thanks indeed.

Kind Regards
    Roy