Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Issues? Please use this thread.

Thanks

Hello Brian,
    Glad to have you in the forum, sorry you hit a bump, I will try to help. First, I believe there is no facility for you to edit the title of a started thread. As for the other matter, can you confirm that you are logged in and there is no 'EDIT POST' icon appearing in the right hand side of the grey bar forming the bottom border of your post?

Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Hello Bruce - thanks for this. Yes, I confirm that after I am logged in, there is no "Edit Post" icon on my post in the thread I started (which you will have seen). On that post, I have only the icons "Reply" and "Reply With Quote". On my posts in other threads (including this one), I do have the "Edit Post" icon as well. As a check I switched from Firefox to IE, just in case the scripts were not supported in Firefox - but same result with IE. I wonder if the lack of editing ability is because if the thread initiator altered the title and initial post of a thread, any replies might become nonsensical?

Brian

Thanks

Yes and I've just done a test post in my thread. I get the "Edit Post" icon in the test post. Brian

Thanks

The forum used to have a time limit on edit of 30 mins after post. This was to stop spammers posting an acceptable message then returning a few days later to edit and add spam.

It seems that this limit is still active, but I cannot confirm the exact delay.

The ability to edit thread title is only open to the orginator of the thread and moderators. It does not appear in the basic edit menu, you need to select advanced edit.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks Ross, I will continue to learn the basics. I really must sit down with a cup of tea one day and play with all the buttons.
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Default Editing posts

Hi again - I checked on Ross's advice. I have just been able to edit my test post - I deleted it altogether, but I'm pretty sure editing was also available, the full edit options page came up. This is 17 hours after posting it. Brian

Thanks

Lost the ability to edit my post (#24) after 24 hrs.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks again. Bruce - if possible - would you please use your powers to change the title of my thread of 5 November re my father, as follows. Delete "Flt Off" (which is an incorrect abbreviation). Please just substitute "F/O" as in the text. Otherwise I'm happy, I might have tinkered with the message body but it's ok (and a long shot anyway!). Brian

Thanks

Bruce - thanks for that - feel free to delete my messages in this forum issues thread if they are not felt to be of general interest. Brian

Thanks

Forum is back up now.

There was an issue with our webhosting provider . Database tables got erased and it required a restoration using a back up copy.

Many of the posts in the previous three days are gone due to a backup being restored over yesterday's copy.

I do have a backup of posts till 30 hours back and will work on restoring them this weekend. what it means is that all User registrations, posts replies in past 30 hours wont be recovered.

The same item affected the Front Page site and Image galleries as well.. they are now restored to working condition.

Unfortunately this event happened just on that one little trip i make every year out of town and I could not address this in time. Apologies for all inconvenience this has caused.

-Jagan