Thread: 524 Squadron Wellington GRXIII Lost on 26th Nov 1944

Thanks

Default 524 Squadron Wellington GRXIII Lost on 26th Nov 1944

Hi,

Iím new here so I hope Iím posting this in the correct place. I am a volunteer member of the Friends of Langham Dome and my involvement with the Dome has spurred me to do some research Ė purely on my own behalf Ė in to the operations and losses from Langham during WWII.

Having trawled the various squadron ORBís and done a fair bit of internet searching I have managed to find most of the information I have gone looking for Ė at least so far. However I have struggled a bit with the positive identification of 524 squadron Wellingtons not least because the 524 ORB does not, for the most part, refer to specific aircraft serial numbers but only lists the aircraftís squadron code letter.

I think I have now managed to positively identify all but one of the Wellingtons that 524 lost while operating from Langham but I am now a bit stumped on this last one.

The aircraft Iím interested had the squadron code 7R-B and was lost on 26th November 1944 while being flown by F/L John Rimmel Pugh. I have all the details of the incident including all the information about the crew and their mission but I have not been able to positively identify the aircraft. My best guess is that it was possibly MF444 but I am not at all sure of this. Can anyone confirm the identity of this Wellington GRXIII please ?

As an aside if anyone happens to have a full cross reference of aircraft codes to serial numbers for 524 squadron Wellington XIIIís and XIVís that they would be willing to share that would be absolutely fantastic Ė but I donít want to push my luck !

In advance many thanks for any assistance on the above.

Cheers, John

Thanks

Crew of B - HZ649 after the swap from H

F/L J Pugh
    F/Sgt Kelly
    F/L D F Stewart
    W/O H F Coulson
    W/O G Hancox
    W/O R Chandler
    F/L N A T R Cowley

MF444 is listed as SOC 28/2/47

Regards
    Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 5th April 2015 at 07:02.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross - that's brilliant ! Many thanks for the quick response. The crew details match exactly with what I have. Apparently the original aircraft to be used "H" developed hydraulic problems and landed back at base just 18 minutes after take off.

Thanks again J.

Thanks

Thanks

Hi Col,

That is very interesting info regarding John Pugh. I am taking it that he was the same John Pugh that was flying Wellington HZ649 the night it was lost ?

I had tried searching the forums for any existing info on HZ649's loss (but without knowing the correct S/N) but I hadn't found the 2008 thread about F/L Cowley.

Thanks again J.

Thanks

J,

Definitely the same John PUGH.

PUGH, John Rinvill* A/F/L (122824) RAFVR 500 Sqn.
    London Gazette: 1/10/1943:p.4357

Carter/DFC Vol.II, p1362

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/4357

* Can't explain variation in second forename.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 5th April 2015 at 22:43.

Thanks

Thanks once again Col. Another fascinating insight into history of these brave men.

J.