Thread: Who is this the Major Pimberton ?

Thanks

Default Who is this the Major Pimberton ?

Hi,

Who is this Major Pimberton ?

According to the war diary of Groupement de Chasse 22 close to Toul in november 1939.

8 november 1939 : Liaison du major Pimberton commandant le Wing de Hurricane de Vassincourt en vue d'une coopération franco-britannique de chasse.

Vassincourt is the home of the n°1 sqdn and is there a relation between Pimberton and n°1 sqdn ?

TIA

Bertrand

Thanks

Bertrand

I don't know if this helps, but I know that No. 35 Squadron had a Pemberton amongst it's WWI personnel, so that may be the family name you are looking for.

A quick google on that name brings up a few links (some in French), but you may already have that information.

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hi Bertrand

There was a Sqn Ldr (equivalent rank to Major) D A Pemberton promoted on 1 Apr 1939, who could be your man and he was OC, No 1 Sqn from May 1940.

Malcolm

Thanks

Thanks Pete and Malcolm for the correct spelling of S/L David Alwyne Pemberton.

A quick search on google gives KIA on 3/11/40 but there is nothing in the book of Fighter Command Losses 39-41 for this date.

Bertrand

Thanks

Hello,

S/L D A Pemberton DFC, was killed when No.1 Sqn Hurricane I P2751, hit ground in bad visibility near Wittering, on 3 November, 1940.

Col.