Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repeated successfull evasions of RAF airmen

Thanks

Default Repeated successfull evasions of RAF airmen

Does anyone know about an RAf airman who was double successful evader after being shot down over occupieded area?
    I know of a Pole F/Lt pilot Waclaw Wasik from 300 Sqn, who was shot down twice (resopecitvely in 1942 and 1944). Each time he managed to evade capture and with asistance of undeground organisation returned to UK.
    Do you know other examples of such evaders?
    I wonder if such two consecutive evasions are so rare indeed?

Regards,
    Greg
    Last edited by Grexx; 7th April 2015 at 20:04. Reason: small typos

Thanks

Greg,

I'm going through the tables of a book called: RAF Evaders by Oliver Clutton-Brock.

I have found another Pole called WARDZINSKI who is also a double evader. I will carry on the search later but two evasions are not unique but obviously rare.

I think there was a rule that if you evaded you could carry on operating over enemy territory but had you escaped from POW, you could not - too dangerous!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

As promised, I have looked further at Clutton-Brock's book.

He records 2198 evaders and says at page 346 that there were 12 double evaders. Unfortunately, I have looked through the tables and could only pick up eight of these and so have missed the other four.

Besides the two Poles already mentioned the others are:
    Sqn Ldr K J BOLTON
    Flt Lt M J A COTE RCAF
    Fg Off C A E ELLEMENT RCAF
    Fg Off H FIRNISS-ROE
    Flt Lt H J NIXON RCAF
    Sgt A N SPEAR

I hope this helps get you started and I'm sorry its only a partial answer. There will be some expert out there waiting with the other names!!!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oldduffer View Post
    Greg,

I think there was a rule that if you evaded you could carry on operating over enemy territory but had you escaped from POW, you could not - too dangerous!

Colin Cummings
    James McCairns and Sergeant Oliver Barton James were two notable exceptions to this rule, l am sure there were others.

Regards,

Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Hello,

Three other dual RAF escapees/evaders were, William Guy LOCKHART, Robert Arthur Eric MILTON and Arnold John MOTT. One other was Raymond John Frederick SHERK RCAF

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 9th April 2015 at 14:02.

Thanks

My understanding is that if an evasion engages the help of men or women who were identifiable, efforts were put in place to protect that information by avoiding returning to operations in that theatre of operations.

Obviously that did not apply if the evasion was achieved by other means.

I know of an evader who was assisted by an escape network in France and he was later returned to operations in the Middle/Far East.

I have seen some evasion reports recommending that the evader does not return to operations over France. As always exceptions always exist.......

Thanks

Colin,
    Again l agree, that was my understanding but that did not apply to the two guys l mentioned.
    James became a Typhoon pilot over Europe and McCairns a SOE taxi pilot, dropping agents into France in his Lysander!!!!
    I do not think the rule was applied that rigidly.
    Regards,
    Nick
    KenFentonsWar.com

Thanks

Guys,
    Thank you all for your valuable and interesting information.
    I must admit that I have the book on evaders & escapers by Clutton-Brock but it seems that I must have ommited the information about 12 double RAF evaders.

There is also another question that I`m interested in.
    I wonder if there are more examples of the entire heavy bomber crews who evaded capture?
    I have found one example of a Polish crew of Halifax from 138 SD Sqn which force landed in southern France in 1943. They all were quickly taken over by Maquis and within a couple of weeks transported via Pyrenees to Spain.

Regards,
    Greg
    Last edited by Grexx; 9th April 2015 at 20:56. Reason: .

Thanks

Without too much thought, I would say that Chorley might be the place to go to find 'full crew evasion' - sounds mildly obscene to me!

Reading through this Thread and seeing the names of James McCairns and Guy Lockhart, makes me realise there are some wonderful stories to be told here. Sadly, McCairns died in an accident post war and Lockhart was killed as a pathfinder. There is a little book written by Peggy Ryle called: 'Missing In Action'. This lady writes letters to her husband throughout the Spring and Summer of 1944, until his death in Lockhart's aircraft is confirmed. Lockhart's widow remarried and died a few years ago in southern England.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

I can give you one, Greg.

Wellington R1699 (SR-D) all six crewmen successfully evaded. Pilot 2 AUS402224 Sgt John Ross Walker Christensen holds the distinction of being the first RAAF man in Bomber Command to evade in Europe.

The family published a book entitled "Papa's Tour de France". Retired flying for QANTAS in 1975.

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by alieneyes; 11th April 2015 at 15:00. Reason: corrected spelling of pilot - thanks, Col