Thread: 1 air observer school, malton, ontario

Thanks

Default 1 air observer school, malton, ontario

Does anyone know if there is a resource that I can use to find out the course number and names of those who attended at No 1 AOS, Malton, Ontario in October 1943

Thanks

The Daily Diary of the School will be available on microfilm from Library and Archives Canada, although I'm not sure how you would access this from the UK. You may be able to get it on an inter-library loan through your local library, or you may have to purchase a copy. I'm hoping Dakota can give us the reel number for the microfilm, which will speed up the process considerably.

Thanks

Thanks Bill,

I am looking specifically for one trainee navigator who was at 1 AOS, Malton between 16th October 1943 and 6th May 1944. His name was Zdzislaw Eugeniusz Kostyrka. I don't know his course number or exactly when he started and finished but the first date is the day he left the Bombing and Gunnery course at Jarvis and the later date is the day he returned to 31 PD at Moncton prior to his return to England.

Thanks

G'day

No. 1 A.O.S. Malton

Record Group 24

Reel Number C-12, 328

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

I've been asked by a friend in Australia [once a RAFC member ]wonders what information is exactly on the microfilm of the daily diary entries ? Her Polish father, Flt/Lt F Omylak, Polish flight 1586 JP295 attended the navigator course.

Thank you
    Anne

Thanks

Hello Archivist,

You can also try the Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum in London. File “LOT.A.V.31/6” deals with training of Polish airmen in Canada. My uncle was in 1 AOS, class 81, from 26 July to 10 Dec. 1943. I have the complete listing of all class members for class 81 plus a few other letters concerning my uncle from this file.

Take care,
    Mieszko

Thanks

Morning all,

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but I am looking for the records of No.31 Bombing and Gunnery School at Picton for the period August 1943 to December 1943, and No.33 Air Navigation School (RCAF Hamilton?) for November and December 1943. My Grandfather trained at both locations as part of his journey to 100 Squadron. Can I safely assume that the records for both units will be on the microfilms at "Library and Archives Canada" mentioned above? I've done a search on their website, but I'm not getting any returns - I guess it's a case of dropping them an email and seeing what they come back with in terms of information availabnle and the cheapest way of getting it to me?

TIA, all the best,

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945

Thanks

Greg,
    As both establishments are numbered in the 30 series these are RAF schools transferred to Canada and hence their records are at Kew.

No.31 B&GS, Picton, Ontario AIR 29/599.
    No.33 ANS., Hamilton, Ontario AIR 29/601.

Based on my experience of the EFTS ORBS I expect these will contain the same as the Canadian microfilms but are contained in bound volumes which you can copy with a digital camera - and may include a few additional photographs.
    Cheer, Tony

Thanks

Tony,

That is fantastic - many thanks indeed for the heads-up.

L/O

Greg
    "You can take the boy out of Wales,
    But you can't take Wales out of the boy!!"

Greg Harrison
    100 Squadron and 100 Squadron Association Historian
    100 Squadron Researcher 1917 - present day
    1 Group Researcher 1940 - 1945