Thread: Pre-OTU Wartime on-Sqn Operational Training

Thanks

Default Pre-OTU Wartime on-Sqn Operational Training

Does anyone have some information on the type of training that new pilots underwent on-squadron prior to being certified day and night operational during 1939-1940, please?

I have group of four pilots posted from SFTS to an operational Spitfire squadron in May 1940 without any OTU / Group Pool training, having not flown a single hour on Spitfires prior to the posting. Their only monoplane training to that point was on Harvards.

I am seeking some information on curriculum, activities, training regimen, etc., etc., that would need to be covered. My four pilots only became operational (took their first operational flights) six to seven weeks after joining the Sqn. Is there a record somewhere, maybe a Sqn ORB, that records the type of training the men undertook?

I can obviously guess at some of it, and assume it was some form of advanced training on what was taught at SFTS, but is there any record that I can refer to?

Any assistance in this regard would be appreciated, thanks

Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm

Thanks

Hi
    Geof Wellum s First Light gives an idea of what went on, probably not very structured. After check ride in Master was let loose on Spitfire. He gives a short piece on what he did after. Better still ask the great man himself, he's still very much with us.
    regards Peter

Thanks

Thanks Peter

Any ideas where / how I can get in touch with him, please? Can you PM me?

Thanks
    Steve
    41 (F) Squadron RAF at War and Peace, April 1916-March 1946
    http://brew.clients.ch/41sqnraf.htm