Thread: WW2 badges

Thanks

Default WW2 badges

Anyone know what these badges mean. I have recently received a couple of photos of my father in the war. One of them shows him with two badges at the wrist end of his right arm. What looks like a 'coat of arms' similar to an Army sergeant/major badge and below 4 'quite thick' upside down chevrons. Any help gratefully received. Bill Webb

Thanks

Hi Bill

The coat of arms will be Warrant Officer and the four chevrons will be four Good Conduct Badges

Malcolm

Thanks

Many thanks. I have his service record and log books and there is no mention of him being a Warrant Officer, He was Flt Sgt. until 3rd June 1944 when he was commissioned, certainly in Feb 1944 he was Flt Sgt because that was when he received DFM. But it does give a good date for the photograph (if WO) as between Feb and June 1944, 4 'Good conduct' badges obviously correct but doesn't sound like my father if his 'tales' are true. But thank you for the information, I am Army background not RAF and although similar there are a lot of differences. Bill

Thanks

Hi Bill

He may have been an Acting WO, which may have been missed off his records if he was commissioned

Malcolm

Thanks

Bill,

638508 William Edgar Peter WEBB DFM (55807). Is this your Father? If so:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...upplement/4113

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 3rd May 2015 at 12:36.

Thanks

It is indeed my father, my half sister Kate has come up with about 15 photos of him in the war but sadly no dates, locations etc on them. But thanks to the forum at least this one has been solved. Thank you all. Bill