Thread: F/Lt Tom Gray D.F.C., 1940 - any details?

Thanks

Default F/Lt Tom Gray D.F.C., 1940 - any details?

Hello everyone

I've come across a newspaper article in the Berwickshire News of September 24th 1940 concering a F/Lt Tom Gray, D.F.C., which reports him being listed as reported missing. The article says that "two months ago he was awarded the D.F.C.", which would make it July/August 1940, and it also states that "he joined the R.A.F. in 1937, and in recent months he had been attached to the Coastal Command as a pilot."

I can't find either a relevant entry on the CWGC site, or any corresponding CC losses in Ross's book, nor a T Gray on the POW list on this site.

Can anyone give me anything further? Service number and unit maybe, or details of his D.F.C.?

Many thanks.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Air Force list of August 1940 had a Flt T A Gray s/n 23244

And he is still listed in 1942, and still in July 1945, so I would guess he was found un-missing.

Though it would appear that officer was actually a dentist.... Dental Branch - so that's what th D stands for.

So ignore my input.

have a look through the AFL's
    http://www.rafcommands.com/reference...r-force-lists/
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

An aviation report worthy of the present day Daily Mail.

Tom Edmondstone Gray

Not quite right but not totally wrong.

Rank not F/Lt but Lt(A)

Award was DSC not DFC

FAA rather than RAF but he was commissioned into the RAF as acting P/O in 21 Dec 1936 - P/O 12 Oct 1937 when aircraft not embarked were stationed on RAF Stations.

Award was for air actions Norwegian Campaign.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../3919/data.pdf

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, and thank Ross for finding him - I thought they might have got something wrong somewhere! The headline actually reads "HAWICK R.A.F. OFFICER MISSING"...

They had previously got it right however, as they reported his D.S.C. award on July 2nd 1940: "Lieut. T. E. Gray...has been awarded the D.S.C. for daring and resource in the conduct of hazardous and successful operations by the Fleet Air Arm on the coast of Norway."

He's in the Navy Lists for the rest of the war, so he was obviously 'found'.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

A bit more digging found this page:

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...ional-Archives

ADM 358/258
    Lieutenant (A) T E Gray, RN and Lieutenant J C W Iliffe, RN: prisoners of war; aircraft failed to return from air operations, 13 September 1940

regards

Simon

EDIT: Sturtivant's Fleet Air Arm Aircraft 1939 to 1945 has Skua L3030, 801 Sqn A7K, crashed in attack on oil tanks at Sklaslevik, 13.9.40, Lt. T. E. Gray and Lt. J. C. W. Iliffe both PoW. Gray (also while flying L3030) had previously shared the shooting down of an He-111 on May 7th 1940 with L2878, south of Ofotfjord.
    Last edited by wwrsimon; 9th May 2015 at 09:38.