Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sqn Ldr V H Reynolds DFC

Thanks

Just in case anybody was wondering, there was no commissioned officer by the name of V H Reynolds (or Renolds) in the RNZAF (nor any other second initial) during 1944. Has anybody eliminated from this enquiry the possibility that he was RAAF of RCAF?
    David D

Thanks

I believe Reynolds is genuine in terms of his identity and his name appears in various places. He was probably an acting or war substantive sqn ldr and hence his LG entry would probably be in a lower rank. He could also be a Commonwealth officer but I don't think so, although David has suggested this above.

As regards the number of RAF pilots who went to the GPR after the Arnhem losses, there are various quoted figures in the 1200-1500 range. As to how many actually flew on VARSITY, I don't know but will see if 'Wot No Engines' helps. Claude Smith's book makes no mention of Reynolds but does list the names of RAF GPs who were killed on VARSITY. Of course not every GP - RAF or Army - actually flew on VARSITY. I will look later at Wood's two books on gliders to see if I can pick up anything from there.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Heartily agree with Colin (above) and would guess he was a war substantive F/L (Acting S/L) as were most flight commanders in Bomber Command. Substantive S/L was not normally within reach of wartime-trained aircrew personnel, although this might have been possible late in WW2.
    David D

Thanks

A belated thanks for the replies on this thread gents - I had recently retired and moved just before last christmas and had forgotten about this thread.

I never found anything more either - I guess there was some sort of typo in the Glider article and either the name or his decoration may not be quite correct.

rgds baz

Thanks

Just returning to this old thread,I think 'VH Reynolds' might possibly be either ...

Kenneth Harper Reynolds DFC (47361)
    or KH Reynolds DFC (144456)

KH Reynolds is listed as O.C 'F' Sqn GPR on Op Varsity - excerpt below is from - http://www.pegasusarchive.org/varsity/war_hqgpr1.htm

I wonder if it is possible that his initials have been edited/corrected as I am almost certain I had looked at this list before !

"F" Squadron - S/Ldr. K.H. Reynolds - (L.Z. 'O').

The take off and form up for "F" Sqn was carried out without a hitch. The trip across being in fine and clear weather.

The turning points were clearly pin-pointed and finally the River RHINE was crossed on track.

The area East of the RHINE was badly obscured by some sort of smoke and pin-pointing of the actual LZ. was difficult.

Light flak was experienced just before pull off and this increased in intensity and accuracy in free flight. So far as can be ascertained, every glider was hit by flak, in some cases killing pilots, wounding them or their loads, damaging gliders and in a few cases setting fire to gliders in flight.

I was carrying the Officer Commanding 2nd Oxf & Bucks Lt Infty. and part of their Bn. HQ. and my landing point was on the East side of the Railway 217493., as near to the Station Buildings as possible. In the centre of this area, immediately between the Station Offices and the River ISSEL was a four pit Lt AA Bty., which engaged us the whole way down. I ordered my second pilot to open up with the sten through the front clear visual panel, when we came within range, and landed alongside the AA posn., between it and the Railway Station. The port wheel having been shot off the glider canted to port when it came to rest and the mainplane gave a certain amount of cover while we deplaned.

After the AA posn had been captured, I went to the Railway Station, which had been captured by a Coy of the 2nd Oxf & Bucks. and glider pilots, and reported to the O.C.