Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did "administrative and special duties" branch do?

Thanks

Default What did "administrative and special duties" branch do?

I'm trying to find information about my father who was in the RAF in WW2, and various searches suggest he was attached to something called the "Administrative and Special Duties" branch. Can anyone enlighten me about what this part of the RAF actually did?

Thanks

As a start point, I have the following duties listed under that branch: Administrative Duties, Intelligence Duties, Marine Craft Duties, Physical Training Duties, Operations Room, Defence, Catering and Mechanical Transport.

His specific trade should be listed on his service record which, as you probably know, can be obtained from RAF Disclosures.

Good luck with your research

Regards

Pete
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

In the interim, can we have your Father's name and initials? It might help in expanding the bare details you will get on the Service Record
    TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

His name was Frank Jones, no middle name, I believe his service number was 74991. I've trawled through the on-line Air Force lists on the National Library of Scotland site and the only Frank Jones who matches the information I have is shown as a Flight Lt., FL (Ad) (VR) in the November 1939 list and appears to be promoted to Squadron Leader SL (ASD) in the January 1942 list. The July 1945 Air Force List shows him as being released from the active list. After the war I know he was working as a Squadron Leader on the staff of the ETPS. So it looks as if he joined up or was recalled from the reserves at the start of the war, spent the war doing something for the admin & special duties branch, and then moved to the ETPS afterwards. I guess my next move is to get a copy of his service record.

Nick J.

Thanks

Nick, Hi,

The answer as to what he did in WW2 (and after) may well lie in what he did in WW1 and the inter-War years. Clearly he was mixed up with the early RAF. He is then made redundant. What was his civilian job? Post Office/broadcasting - or similar? He next appears in the R Sigs Reserve, and is finally Cmd into the A&SD Branch RAFVR on the outbreak of WW2. Looks like his Speciality in A&SD might well have been 'Communications'? - but that hides a multitude of sins!!!

HTH

Peter Davies

War Office, 5th September, 1918.
    REGULAR FORCES.
    The undermentioned -cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts. : —
    R. War. R.—Frank Jones.

Air Ministry, 20th July, 1920.
    ROYAL AIR FORCE.
    FLYING BRANCH.
    The undermentioned are transferred to unempld. list: —'
    2nd Lit. Frank Jones. 13th May 1919.

SUPPLEMENTARY RESERVE OF OFFICERS.
    ROYAL CORPS OF SIGNALS.
    2nd Lt. Frank Jones, late R. War. R. (Serv. Bns.), to be 2nd Lt. 14th Dec. 1927.

SUPPLEMENTARY RESERVE OF OFFICERS.
    ROYAL CORPS OF SIGNALS.
    2nd Lt. Frank Jones to be Lt. 6th July 1930.

ADMINISTRATIVE AND SPECIAL DUTIES BRANCH.
    The undermentioned are granted commissions in the ranks stated with effect from 1st Sept. 1939 and with seniority of the dates stated:—
    2nd Lt. Frank JONES (74991) as Fg Off

Thanks

Thanks Peter, very interesting.

Where did the information you posted come from? The Gazette?

I ask because one of the challenges of being a Jones is there there are way too many of us with the same surname, which makes research a bit difficult. I'm wondering if we have more than one Frank Jones in the details you posted. There are at least 3 in the air force lists, but fortunately I know that my dad wasn't a trained pilot so can work out which one is him. As far as I'm aware he didn't have anything to do with signals, but then he never talked about the inter-war years. Immediately after the war he was on the staff of the ETPS and later by the time I was born he was working in a civilian security role for MOD, which might tie up with having a wartime history in some of the admin & security functions of ASD branch of the RAF. Hopefully I'll find out more from his service record.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks

Hi Nick,

Yes, the info came from the LG (searching for “Frank Jones” (in inverted commas)).

The 5 Sep 18 puts a Frank Jones in the R Worcs Regt
    The 20 Jul 20 is likely to have been the same Frank Jones – and thus his volunteering for the RAF in WW2 rather than his original Regt, or the later Reserve Unit.
    The 14 Dec 27 is definitely the same Frank Jones as in 5 Sep 18.
    The 6 Jul 30 is almost certainly the same Frank Jones as in 14 Dec 27 (but is missed on his WW2 Commissioning into the RAFVR A&SD)
    The 1 Sep 39 is the RAF Cmn (and Service Number).

I have no idea how you go about obtaining the Army Service Record. Most of the Army records seem to have been kept on a Regimental (or Corps) basis, and are thus difficult to pin down.

Let us know if you have any success!

HTH

Peter Davies

Thanks

Pretty much all Army officer service records, pre 1922, are kept by the National Archives. Records for personnel who served after that date lie with the Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow (although in reality sit with TNT in their storage facility in Swadlincote!).

Rgds

Jonny
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

I've trawled around in the Air Force Lists for 1919 and found that a 2nd Lt F. Jones was listed a Kite Balloon officer in March 1919 before joining the unemployed list in April 1919. However I can't see any obvious way to find out if this was the same F. Jones who rejoined the RAF in the ASD branch in 1939. I don't know if the service record which I've requested would show that information.

Nick

Thanks

I've found this thread when researching my Grandad's war record. I've found numerous records showing him as being in Admin and Special Duties during 1943-44, but can't find anything else. He died in 1967, but my great uncle said he flew operations as a rear gunner in Lancasters and was wounded slightly, and I'm trying to get more details of this. I have a photo of him in No.1 Squadron A Flight 6.I.T.W. from August 1942. I have his wings with AG on, he was from Rhodesia (emigrated in 1928), full name Thomas William Mash, service number 80459. He was demobilised in 1946 in Salisbury (Harare) Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) from the Southern Rhodesian Air Force. Any idea how I can find out more? Thanks.
    Last edited by JamieMash; 13th February 2017 at 15:56.