Thread: turret serial number ?

Thanks

Default turret serial number ?

Hello

I'd be surprised if items such as gun turrets wouldn't have their own serial numbers. I've found an alloy casing on a Lancaster crash site, which I think could come from one of the turrets, probably front turret, eventually the mid upper one, but very unlikely to be the rear turret, as we have statements that the tail broke away before impact.

The alloy casing has the following inscription on it : E 129354 A, with the E and the A slightly smaller than the numbers.

There's also a verification stamp, but not complete / partly erased. It has BE and below 16 or 15.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Regards

Joss

Thanks

Hi Joss. I will be very surprised if you can make the ID numbers you have found substantiate the particular aircraft. The issue is that many of the components were interchangeable. I have a vast amount of wreckage from MkIII Lanc found near Hamburg. All the pieces had various serial numbers but there are no records, according to AHB that prove the registration. We have identified the a/c by elimination and by using known information such as place , time and German records and from engine numbers relating to Packard as opposed to Rolls Royce etc. I wish you good luck with this but suggest you don't get too excited just yet. Tony

Thanks

Hello Tony,

I have the ID of the Lancaster, and the serial numbers of the 4 Packard Merlin engines. I'm just wondering if the bit I found comes from a turret, and if so, if it can be identified as front or mid-upper turret.

Regards

Joss
    Last edited by jossleclercq; 13th May 2015 at 21:18.