Thread: RAE Typhoon query

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default RAE Typhoon query

Hello everybody, and greetings from Belgium !

This is my first post in the forum, so I do hope I am at the right place and not clustering the wrong section with my query !

I am seeking information on a particular Typhoon serial number RB.329 which might have spent some time at RAE, however after digging into various books, the only Typhoon I have found listed at RAE was serial number RB.239, could this be a typo ?

Are there any data card existing mentioning all the planes that went to RAE ?

I was thinking to grab a copy of "The Typhoon File" published by Air-Britain before asking those questions, alas this book is definitely hard to find.

Many thanks in advance !

Thanks

Hello,

Firstly. there was no Typhoon IB with serial RB239. RB239 fell within a black-out block between RB192-RB235 and RB248-RB289.

Here is a listing of Typhoons used for trials by the Royal Aircraft Establishment:

R7576 - Carbon Monoxide contamination;vibration; propeller governor; tail wheel shimmy.
    R7589 - Rudder trim.
    R7595 - Carbon Monoxide contamination.
    R7617 - Static vent; vibrograph; hydraulics.
    R7632 - Roll rate.
    R7649 - Carbon monoxide contamination.
    R7698 - 'G' restrictions.
    R7881 - AI Mk VI radar.
    R8365 - Generator; homing.
    R8688 - Airframe stress; tailplane stress; propeller trials.
    R8693 - Stability.
    R8709 - Negative 'G'.
    R8943 - Propeller governor; cockpit ventilation.
    DN340 - Dive-bombing.
    DN409 - Carbon monoxide contamination and cockpit ventilation.
    DN562 - Rudder trials.
    EK154 - Bombing; smoke-generators; air cleaners.
    EK327 - Generator cooling; negative 'G'; vibrograph.
    MM960 - Dive-bombing sight.
    MN519 - Bombing.
    MN708 - Bombing.
    MN943 - Bombing; drag; buffeting.
    PD615 - Swing.
    RB329 - Icing; air cleaners.

See:
    The Typhoon & Tempest Story.
    Thomas,Chris & Christopher Shores.
    London:Arms & Armour Press,1988.
    p.168.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 20th May 2015 at 02:25.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Van Harry View Post
    I am seeking information on a particular Typhoon serial number RB.329 which might have spent some time at RAE, however after digging into various books, the only Typhoon I have found listed at RAE was serial number RB.239, could this be a typo ?

Hello

Thank you for your greetings.

If you have the odd query on an aircraft number and as you have the type and serial number Typhoon RB329 you could email the RAF Museum (RAFM) Hendon research email - see their website. A response is usually about a month.

If asking for a photocopy, state your aircraft type AND serial number and ask for both sides of the AM 78 called an 'Aircraft Card', also known as a 'Movement Card'. As long as it was completed fully at the time, the time the aircraft spent at the RAE should be recorded on the AM78. There is sometimes a small charge for copies and postage.

There is an ORB for the RAE / Farnborough in AIR 29 at The National Archives, Kew, which might / might not mention aircraft serials they were using, but you would need to trawl through the pages ( if visiting make sure you have the required photo and address identification), contact them in advance and make sure they have the item available too. Also the AVIA 18 Series (A&AEE) has Typhoon files under test (which might mention some). However, you want to know if a complete official list exists

Regarding RAE Farnborough, you could email FAST (Farnborough Air Sciences Trust), again they might only have individual reports, but you might be lucky and they might have lists of wartime aircraft, on charge at an Establishment?

Thanks Col, so RB329 was involved in Icing investigation? Some Reports on icing are difficult/impossible to find and the official HMSO (Air Ministry) book regarding Operational Research in the RAF published 1963 suggests that Bomber Command aircraft icing in WW2 was not a problem, but what survives in files and various early WW2 references say otherwise and an official WW2 AM publication titled 'Aircraft Icing' (not the Meteorological Office booklet on the subject) suggests that icing affecting certain parts of the aircraft must have been a problem.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 20th May 2015 at 13:31.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Van Harry View Post
    Hello everybody, and greetings from Belgium !

This is my first post in the forum, so I do hope I am at the right place and not clustering the wrong section with my query !

I was thinking to grab a copy of "The Typhoon File" published by Air-Britain before asking those questions, alas this book is definitely hard to find.

Many thanks in advance !
    Welcome to the forum. I hope I can save you the wait for the RAF Museum ...

The following notes are taken from a combination of the Form78 movement card, the RAE's record card and files in the AVIA classification at NA Kew.

RB329
    Delivered directly from the Gloster factory at Brockworth to RAE on 27 October 44
    Trials with the Vokes air cleaner and icing trials. These took place between November 44 and March 45.
    Ferried to 51 MU Lichfield on 12 May 45 for storage
    Declared 'non effective airframe' 8 May 46
    Sold to International Alloys (as scrap) 13 March 47

I'm afraid the Typhoon File would not have told you more than you already knew. I compiled it 35 years ago and much more detail is now available. Send me a PM if I can help further.
    CT

Thanks

COL BRUGGY, many thanks for your listing, I actually own The Typhoon & Tempest story but for some reason, I completely missed that page, after verification, no pages are mising from my book, my defective eyesight must have tricked me !

Mark Hood many thanks for all these usefull advices regarding the various ways of seeking information, I am still new in this world of digging into RAF history thus this will definitely be handy for my future researches.

Chris Thomas, you actually made me proud of myself !

Working on assumptions and guessings until you finally come across some official sources confirming your theory is really satisfying !

The description of Icing; air cleaners made me think that it was related to the Vokes Filter, and I knew that it was introduced on the production line around September 1944, looking at the production batch of RB329, it fitted well into the time period.

Could we assume that it was one of the first Typhoon equipped with the Vokes filter, or that RB329 was taken for testing the fitting of the filter before introducing it on the production line ?

I will send you a PM

Many thanks to all of you who answered me !

Thanks

Just to clarify Harry, the 'Vokes air cleaner' in question is the filter mounted on the air intake in the centre of the radiator fairing beneath the nose. More properly known as the Vokes/RAE air cleaner. It is not the Vokes Tropical Air Intake which was fitted behind the radiator fairing and was introduced on the production line c.Setember 1944. Unfortunately I have yet to discover the test reports for that device which was for use during ground running and was closed after take off.
    CT
    Last edited by Chris Thomas; 22nd May 2015 at 11:24. Reason: additional text

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thomas View Post
    ... Unfortunately I have yet to discover the test reports for that device which was for use during ground running and was closed after take off.
    CT
    Hello Chris, Van and Col,

Don't have the RAE Report, but presume you have found the Cecil Gordon Vokes, US Patents on Google c/w drwgs, for free pdf download?

I found them by putting the following search in commas "air filter with heat exchange arrangements" and various searches "C. G. Vokes" of London England and "assignor to Vokes Limited, Guildford, Surrey, England"

US2437489 US "2,437,489" oil cooler, air intake warmer (air filter with heat exchange arrangements)
    US2381705 US "2,381,705" (to cut out a filter temporarily) filter air when taking off, or landing, or at low altitudes, but have intake free when flying at higher altitudes

Because icing trials have been mentioned and closing after take-off, are you referring to changing over to heated air?

If it was successful and a new design, they possibly filed a US Patent?

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 23rd May 2015 at 19:57.