Thread: Unit Abbrieviation help

Thanks

Default Unit Abbrieviation help

I have the service record of an RAF Wireless Operator/Air Gunner. During early training he was posted to No. 2 Recruit Centre at Cardington, and from there to 'No. 8 R.T.P.' in November 1939. The posting to is written in ink with what looks to be 'Manston' afterwards. The posting out is a rubber stamp and definitely 'NO. 8 R.T.P.' Can anyone help with what RTP is? I thought Recruit Training Pool?

From there he is posted to 'H.Q.R.C.' in early March 1940. This is written in capitals - maybe 'Headquarters Recruit Centre'? Later, in a correction it notes 'H.Q.R.C. Hamble'.

From there he moves to '50 Group (Pl)' - the 50 Group Pool.

Can anyone decipher the first two?

Many thanks all
    Last edited by Unverified 9395; 24th May 2015 at 12:56.

Thanks

I think HQ RC is "Reserve Cadre" as I am also researching a service record for the same period (see thread: http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/sho...rve-Cadre-Pool).

A quick search regarding RTP has not thrown up any information; what was his posting after 50 Group Pool?

Regards

Pete
    Last edited by PeteT; 24th May 2015 at 12:54. Reason: Changes to RTP element
    Main areas of research:

- CA Butler and the loss of Lancaster ME334 (http://rafww2butler.wordpress.com/ )
    - Aircrew Training (Basic / Trade / Operational / Continuation / Conversion)
    - The History of No. 35 Squadron (1916 - 1982) (https://35squadron.wordpress.com/)

[Always looking for copies of original documents / photographs etc relating to these subjects]

Thanks

Hi Pete

In trying to decipher the writing its actually a correction.

'H.Q.R.C. 4/3/40'
    '50 Group Pool 20/5/40'
    'No. 4 Bombing and Gunnery School 4/10/40'

However, this is corrected and the order is changed to:

'H.Q.R.C. Hamble to Station Debden 29/6/40'
    '4 B & G S (see above)' so I assume still 4/10/40

I'm not sure if this means he went from H.Q.R.C. to the 50 Group Pool, then Debden and then 4 B & G S, or if the 50 Group Pool was missed out in favour of the Debden posting. As ever, they often don't make sense! I suspect he was posted to the 50 Group Pool and soon after to Debden, possibly as a general hand whilst waiting for his training to begin.

Next posting is 'No. 1 'Wy' or 'Wg' ' (I assume No. 1 Wing) RAF Cranwell.

He was RAFVR, having enlisted initially on July 19th 1939, being called up on September 1st 1939.
    Last edited by Unverified 9395; 24th May 2015 at 13:14.

Thanks

Can confirm RTP Recruit Training Pool

Thanks

Hi

HQ R C could be HQ Reserve Command, which was still in existence at that time

Malcolm

Thanks

Thank you all. So it seems he was held at a couple of establishments, probably kicking his heels on general tasks until beginning his training at No. 4 Bombing and Gunnery School?

Thanks

It seems RAF Reserve Command was absorbed into Training Command on May 27th 1940, which would be a week before he was posted to the 50 Group Pool, which could fit.

If the Debden posting took place a month later it seems he was waiting for his aircrew training to begin, and was on general duties as a result.