Thread: SOE Flight possible Squadron into Pierria Greece

Thanks

Default SOE Flight possible Squadron into Pierria Greece

I would welcome any suggestions as to which squadron and where would they have operated from when engaged in dropping SOE agents into Greece in October 1943.
    I am looking at a sortie to Pierria possibly on the 19 October 1943.
    Sorry no knowledge of aircraft type.
    Any guidance welcome.
    Thank you.
    Colin.

Thanks

Not sure as to the accuracy of this info so please treat with suspicion until other info.

I think 148 Sqn might have operated Halifax HR674 and HR680. A Dakota was loaned from 267 Sqn for an operation called Feather III.

Flights of the Forgotten might help you with your research.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Colin. Thank you, Flights of the Forgotten fails to evidence this flight to Greece. The Operation was not connected to Feather III it has a reference to PERSEVERANCE an Operation name I am assuming with the SOE objective of establishing contact with the Macedonian Partisans. Ultimately it was to destroy the Chrome Mines but never took place due to the German reinforcement into the area of operation.

I think a detailed examination of 148 Squadron will help, I feel sure the Sortie would have been made from Italy and 148 Squadron must have been the dropping flight.

Thanks.

Thanks

While this operation falls before the period for which I have any information, 148 Sqdn certainly carried out such drops into Greece later on, in 1944. The squadron didn't move to Brindisi from Libya until January 1944 I believe, but that wouldn't have precluded Greece as a destination prior to that date I think. At the time the squadron flew Halifaxes and Liberators, with assorted other types.

The Squadron ORBs will probably have the required information in them (have had a squint through the Summary for Jan 1944 in case PERSEVERANCE is mentioned, but couldn't see anything). From memory - afraid I haven't got it to hand - there's a brief mention of resistance/SOE and the chrome mines in Roderick Bailey's book The Wildest Province about SOE in Albania; it's possible the reference was to other actions against the mining and export of Greek chrome, of course.

Cheers, Pat

Thanks

Colin

Nothing specific in 'Wildest Province' apart from account of attack on the chrome mines. 624 Squadron is another possible operating from Blida until December 1943 (The Secret Squadrons -Robert Jackson) although Rawlings (Coastal Support & Special Sq.) says they covered Yugoslavia but took on Albania & Greece in January 1944. Same source has 148 Sq. covering Greece, Crete, Serbia & Yugoslavia from Gambut until April 1943, then Derna until August 1943 and Tocra with a detachment at Protville until January 1944 when it moved to Brindisi with 624 Sq.

Thanks

John & Pat.

Thank you for the information, it looks like a trawl through both 148 and 624 Squadron. For some reason I think I favour 624.....this SOE drop became a problem because of the instability of the area and shifting alliances. I hope to find the sortie to drop and establish more facts. Thanks again for checking the book reference.