Thread: Board of Inquiry

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Default Board of Inquiry

This may have been answered before but cannot find reference to it:

Are RAF WWII Boards of inquiry readily available in the UK?

Are the causes listed on the Form 1180 from the BoI?

TIA.

Robert

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robstitt View Post
    This may have been answered before but cannot find reference to it:

Are RAF WWII Boards of inquiry readily available in the UK?

Are the causes listed on the Form 1180 from the BoI?

TIA.

Robert
    Hello Robert

No, they are not available in the UK. However, some of the Court of Inquiries relating to friendly fire have turned up, in TNA, Kew, AIR 14 & AIR 20 Series files. A few Accident Branch files in AVIA 2. AVIA 5 (incomplete) referred to as Precis apparently sent/received by AIB and surviving odd scraps/references to some accidents. Also some bits of 1940 to postwar accident related (policy) correspondence in BT 218 (218/14).

The Report of the Committee on Royal Air Force Administration 1939, known as the Jones Committee, Chaired by Brigadier General H. A. Jones, of the Imperial Tobacco Company, made the recommendation that some Court of Inquiries could be dispensed with.

Also where the RAF Court of Inquiry, would only reveal information or recommendations that were already known about, the AM1180 does not always carry an earlier reference to the recommedations.

Although I noted on one AM1180, that this failure has occurred before when the AM1180 stated a comment by the Ministry C.I. of Accidents 31/12/40 "By no means the only case." But despite looking at the 1940 AM1180 microfilm, an earlier AM1180 mentioning this problem, has yet to be found. Although I suspected a few accidents may have been caused by this same problem, there was no mention of it on the AM1180.

On the earlier WW2 AM1180 adjacent the Accident File number, you sometimes see: "Yes" or "No" or "MS", and I now wonder if a Court of Inquiry was fully completed in every case.

Many were also Single Officer Investigations.

These RAF Court of Inquiry Forms turning up in Australia, in relation to some RAF accidents, some findings are summarised on the AM1180. The filmed AM1180s (or Forced landing cards) don't appear to be complete, or have survived for some accidents.

But several AM1180s seen, have made me wonder, if the Department which originally held the AM1180s (believed to be the RAF Accidents Statistics Branch S.4), were privy to all the accident Signals/information in each case, or whether the AM 1180 was fully updated in every case, including accidents, where recommendations (according to TNA files) were obviously made, but nothing about those recommendations appears on every AM1180 accident card in relation to that cause.

If say a recommendation was made to modify an airframe, designers would have to work on it, test it, the RAE approve drawings, part/s made and then working parties modify whole fleets, this could take some months.

Some AM1180s are a summary of an official Inquiry, or suggested as a "presumed" cause, but researchers are coming up with additional information relating to an accident, which is not recorded on the respective AM1180.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 28th May 2015 at 06:52.

Thanks

Many thanks, Mark. Appreciate the detailed reply.

Robert

Thanks

Hello Rob. Some Court of Inquiry reports exist for the RCAF Bomber Squadrons if there was a fatal crash.

Richard

Thanks

Thanks, Richard. My interest is in the CoI mentioned on the Form 765C related to the ditching of Liberator IIIA LV346 addressed in an earlier thread.

Cheers,

Robert

Thanks

Rob,

For a sample of the 765(C)/Court of Inquiry docs, go to:

http://naa12.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetri...sicSearch.aspx

Enter 411350 in the Keywords box.

Click on the digitised symbol of McNaughtan's A9301 - go to pp.6-19 of 67

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 28th May 2015 at 08:22.

Thanks

Thanks, Col. What a great setup the NAA has.

Robert

Thanks

Now have the Form 1180 for LV346 and it has a notation 'CoI' on the second page followed by the root cause of the accident. Now I think about it, I have seen the distinctive handwriting and CoI notation on other Form 1180s but didn't realize at the time what it was.

Apologies for thread splitting re CoI/LV346!

Robert
    Last edited by robstitt; 28th May 2015 at 23:40.