Thread: A standing take off.

Thanks

Default A standing take off.

I found this entry in Flight Engineer Joe Nelson's flight log book that might be of amusement and of interest to the forum.

When at 1660 Conversion Unit Joe wrote.

"11/2/43 Lancaster 5058U. Pilot F/O Richards. Aircraft Equipped With Dual Controls. Take Offs and Landings. "Mad" Pilot-Instructor Took Off While Standing In Flt. Engineer's Position."

Also some days previous,

"1/2/43 Manchester 5841 Pilot F/O Richards. Practise Bombs Accidentally Released Before Take-Off! None Exploded."

Nelson went to 61 Squadron with F/O Richards. The Richards crew were lost on operations in Nelson's absence.

Nelson flew just one operation with 61 Squadron on 22/3/43 with pilot F/Sgt Goodwin an American. Nelson's log book states

"Operation St. Nazaire. Landed at Ayr, Scotland"

Seems really odd to me that they would land at Ayr unless all of England was "socked in."

Some days later Nelson was transferred to 97 Squadron.
    Researching my father's time with 50 Squadron, 97 Squadron, Dulug Luft, Stalag Luft VI, Stalag 357 and Stalag Luft III.

http://wallyswar.wordpress.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Layne View Post

Nelson flew just one operation with 61 Squadron on 22/3/43 with pilot F/Sgt Goodwin an American. Nelson's log book states

"Operation St. Nazaire. Landed at Ayr, Scotland"

Seems really odd to me that they would land at Ayr unless all of England was "socked in." ...
    Hello David

Even in 1940, if aerodromes were covered in mist, fog, or deliberately obstructed at night in Southern England and the diversion signal was sent to crews, with bombers returning more or less together requiring assistance in a short space of time, then it was not unheard of, for the Regional Control organisation to divert some to RAF Leuchars.

In the Summer of 1941 fog, mist and our own artificial smoke hampered returning bombers.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 30th May 2015 at 06:13.