Thread: A.P. 1083 Required - Time To Be Used by RAF is Set Out (GMT BST etc)

Thanks

Default A.P. 1083 Required - Time To Be Used by RAF is Set Out (GMT BST etc)

Hello All

RAF King's Regulations, para 864. Time. gives the document required.

I wondered if anyone has a copy, or WW2 copy of AP 1083 Signal Manual Part 1? There is some related material at TNA, Kew :-

AIR 10/2283 Royal Air Force Signal Manual (Organisation and Means of Inter-Communication) 5th Edition 1944, AP No. 1083 Part I

AIR 10/1097 RAF Signal Manual. Part I. Organisation – provisional Amendment Lists: 1, 1924, AP No. 1083

Hopefully we can now get a definite answer on the time used by the RAF in RAF Signals and Documents?

This link from Flight 12th Feb 1948, p.173 might prove of interest too, where there was confusion over the time in use:-
    http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%200201.html

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 7th January 2015 at 15:56.

Thanks

Mark, Hi,
    IIRC the RAF Form(Sigs)28 required that all DTGs in the Heading/Distribution sections should be written in 'Z' time - i.e GMT. If, in the body of the message, timings were mentioned then the local timings were indicated by whichever time zone was being referred to (appropriate zone letter appended to the 24-hr time). These might, if necessary, be amplified by the phrase "local time". The problem(s) occurred (before a unified MoD) when the 3 different Services used different conventions for time in their signals! You can only have the faintest idea of the bad language expended when X and/or Y did/or did not meet at Z time!!!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Default AP 1083 dated 1944 Para. 77 Time to be used by Royal Air Force

AP 1083 dated 1944 Times to Used by RAF

Generally GMT or BST / DBST (when in force), except for messages referred to in para. (c)

(c) The time of origin used in messages which cross times zones will be G.M.T. unless ...

(d) Messages to and from aircraft will normally bear a time group only.

Paragraph 77 section (c) was mentioned in relation to the aircraft cited in Flight (link in post #1).

Last edited by Mark Hood; 3rd June 2015 at 22:04.