Thread: Looking for any 1940 information/ refs about "Air Ministry (E.1)"

Thanks

Default Looking for any 1940 information/ refs about "Air Ministry (E.1)"

Hello

I'm looking for any 1940 information about the Air Ministry Department / Directorate known as "Air Ministry E.1." also expressed as "Air Ministry (E.1)"

The only reference on TNA catalogue AIR 1/37/15/1/250 is to Air Ministry E.1.B. dated 1918-1919 regarding Engine Returns being rendered to them.

Also a November 1939 Bomber Command letter ref BC/11665/Eng 2, referring to Air Ministry E.1.A. regarding engines.

Apparently Air Ministry E.1. also had the power of write-off, in the event of a crash, instead of the Group AOC, or Station Report to write-off.

Thanks Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 6th June 2015 at 09:44.

Thanks

Mark,
    Just off the top of my head, but I think that the "E" indicates Equipment, one of the larger responsibilities of any large organisation of such a technical nature as the RAF. One of the big Manuals of the RAF is AP 830, Equipment Regulations. Equipment covered everything from barrack equipment, clothing and footwear, armament, aircraft, marine craft, MT, radar and wireless, navigation, airfield equipment, etc, etc. If you can lay your hands on one of the wartime RAF Lists (Officers) you can find a quick rundown of the interior organisation of the Air Ministry at that time, although it might not get down to the level of detail that you require. Still, I think Equipment is the starting place. Hopefully other Board members will leap in here.
    David D

Thanks

Thanks David

Yes, what I need is likely the publication "Air Ministry" "List of Staff and Distribution of Duties" Anyone have this please?

The nearest copy of I know of, is about 100 miles away at Churchill College Catalogue Ref. CHAR 2/337 and I only had the cover and 2 pages photocopied.

That has all the Air Ministry Department lettering known as the "Short Title", along with the "Full Title" adjacent and another section which gives their Duties in brief.

Equipment and Engineering also came to my mind, but the only two references I have relates specifically to 'engines', but best to check.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 7th June 2015 at 20:04.

Thanks

Much of what you require regarding organisation is contained in the Air Force Lists of the period. If you can get sight of the AP 3397 "Maintenance" that will take you upwards into the Group and Command structures and also the way the equipment depots were organised. The AP is actually a goldmine of everything relating to things from WAAF 'nether garments' to the repair of complete aircraft in obscure parts of the world!

The RAF's equipment management was rusticated to the country in large chunks during the war and Harrogate was a favoured spot - Harlow Manor being one such house taken over and supplemented by other sites around the town (St Georges Road post-war).

In summary, Maintenance Command had a Group structure - 40, 41. 42, 43 etc and these looked after the storage depots and repair and maintenance depots for everything. If you look at the sites of a big storage depot you will see how they were dispersed and there was multi point holdings, regional arrangements for supplies and a nightmare of duplication and triplication and - if such a word exists quadriplication!!

Each Command had its own equipment staff, led by the senior equipment staff officer - SESO - and they managed equipment sections on the stations for which they were responsible.

About 12 years ago, I organised an RAF Historical Society seminar about all this stuff. I'll see if I can find a copy of the seminar proceedings and post again if I can.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Further to my post above - go to the RAF Historical Society website via the RAF Museum or RAF websites and look for Journal 35. This is the proceedings of a seminar held in Nov 2004. Lots of good stuff about equipment management etc.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Default WW2 - Air Ministry (E.1).

Hello Colin

Thank you for your replies. Yes, I could have swore blind, that I had seen Air Ministry (E.1) in a full title somewhere.

The August 1940 Air Force List only has (E) as an abreviation for an Officer belonging to the Equipment Branch, which is the same as "ABC of the RAF" edited by Sir John Hammerton under "Abbreviations of Titles and Terms Employed by the RAF" has "(E). Equipment Branch Officer".

However, in the same publication under:- The Tree of Command at Home, under Air Ministry, under "Air Member for Supply and Organization", the "Directorate of Equipment" was given as (A). Also the 1940 A.F.L. indicates that the Air Ministry Equipment Directorates went from (A) to (C), with various sub numbering under each bracketed letter.

I came across online the RAFHS Booklet you mention, but no Short Titles on an electronic search it seems, I got my copy out yesterday and will look at it again.

I am enquiring with the Archive regarding their 1937 Air Ministry Staff duties Short Title Lists.

The nearest I can find is Eng.1, Eng.2 etc., in the official AM AHB WW 2 history on "Maintenance" published 1954.

Thank you for all your hard work with the Historical Society.

Kind regards, Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 10th June 2015 at 11:14.

Thanks

Default E.1 Air

Hi,
    In some research I was doing for a book some time ago, I came across an organisation called [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]E.1 Air Ministry, ZA Harrogate. I do not know what their overall role was, but with regard to my own interest, they were responsible for issuing Aids Boxes (emergency evasion and survival boxes for WW2 air crews).

Sorry I don't have more, but this title may give you another lead...

If you find anything more about them, I'd appreciate knowing please.

Good luck
    PMF[/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by David Duxbury View Post
    Mark,
    Just off the top of my head, but I think that the "E" indicates Equipment, one of the larger responsibilities of any large organisation of such a technical nature as the RAF. One of the big Manuals of the RAF is AP 830, Equipment Regulations. Equipment covered everything from barrack equipment, clothing and footwear, armament, aircraft, marine craft, MT, radar and wireless, navigation, airfield equipment, etc, etc. If you can lay your hands on one of the wartime RAF Lists (Officers) you can find a quick rundown of the interior organisation of the Air Ministry at that time, although it might not get down to the level of detail that you require. Still, I think Equipment is the starting place. Hopefully other Board members will leap in here.
    David D

Thanks

Default Air Ministry (E.1)

Hello Truebrit

Thanks, it does sound like Equipment.

Regarding Harrogate, known as 'ZA' on Teleprinted Signals, a part of the Air Ministry, London HQ, was moved to Harrogate, as it was feared their London HQ would be bombed.

The Director of Technical Development (D.T.D.) was based at 'Z.A.', in the summer of 1940. Harrogate and likely other A.M. Departments/Branches too, were at Harrogate.

E.1 had to be notified in the event of some aircraft write-off, according to a 1940 AMO.

Transfer, or Not to Transfer - Totally Wrecked Aircraft/Engines
    I have discovered in 1940 that despite some aircraft being totally wrecked and burnt out, the Airframe/Engine were transferred back to the Air Ministry first (once the Crash Inspectors under 43 Group had confirmed 'E') in early WW2, whereas other totally wrecked aircraft could simply be written off by their Unit or Group and then entered on another Form, sent to A.M.

There is obviously a reason for transferring some totally wrecked aircraft/engines back to the Air Ministry, but Not transferring other totally wrecked aircraft/engines back to the Air Ministry.

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 14th June 2015 at 08:23.

Thanks

Default Air Ministry (E.1)

In 1938 as follows:-

Equipment – Directorate of

Deputy Directorate of Equipment (Aircraft)
    E.1
    E.2
    E.3
    E.4

Deputy Directorate of Equipment (General)
    E.5
    E.6
    E.7
    E.8
    E.9
    E.10
    E.11

Deputy Directorate of Equipment (Supply)
    E.12
    E.13
    E.14
    E.15
    N.A.A.F.I.

Deputy Directorate of Equipment (Aircraft). (D.D.E. (A)).
    Deputy Director.
    E.1

Head of Branch.

Allotment of aeroplanes, home and abroad. Instructional aeroplanes. Aircraft Establishment questions. Control of aircraft storage units at home.

Requisitions for aeroplanes. Questions in regard to aeroplane contracts, specifications and Appendices “A”.

Provision of airframe spare parts and accessories. Defect reports and modifications.

Provision of airframe spare parts and accessories. Defect reports and modifications.

[Last two, split into two sections. All staff names, Room and telephone numbers omitted. There was a separate Contracts Directorate.]
    Mark