Thread: Coastal Command Detachments

Eddie Fell Guest

Default Coastal Command Detachments

Towards the back end of 1942 (I have the dates), Nos. 158 and 405 Squadrons sent aircraft and crews on Detachment to Coastal Command at Bealieu and Manston. Whilst I have read about some of the Ops flown by 405 Sqn I have been unable to establish, for certain which crews and aircraft were detached from 158 and the date of any Ops they flew on, and have never seen anything in print which might help. I have the 158 ORB but no mentions in that. Would anybody know if these Ops were recorded anywhere (I'm trying to add to biographies of individual aircrew from 158). I haven't yet looked at the Station ORB's for Bealieu or Manston and having bought a lot of records recently which were of no use whatsoever(!) would like 'inside info' before I speculate again.

Cheers

Eddie

Thanks

Hi Eddie
    Chorley's, "In Brave Company", about 158 Sqn Ops, very briefly mentions these detachments in broad support of the "Torch" landings in N Africa, but does not give much detail. He mentions F/Lt Sparke(no initials) as being i/c a 5 aircraft detachment to Beaulieu but gives no further info. For the detachment to Manston he mentions 4 Captains but no crew detail. The pilots were F/Sgt R Owen,F/Sgt Roberts, Sgt E Smith and Sgt J M Wylie
    Regards
    Dick

Eddie Fell Guest

Hi Dick

I have the book and it seems that Bill had about as much luck as I am having in trying to work out who did what and where. Another one unresolved it seems

Cheers

Eddie