Thread: W/C A J W Geddes - D-day

Thanks

Default W/C A J W Geddes - D-day

Amongst the Imperial War Museum collection of D-day photographs is one of Gold Beach taken by W/C A J W Geddes (http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205023606). According to Malcolm's RAFWeb, Geddes was with HQ 2nd TAF, and flying a Mustang at the time, taking films and broadcasting for the BBC, but what I'd like to know is when he was actually over the beach.

Can anyone tell me the unit from which he 'borrowed' his aircraft, as the ORB might provide the clue I need.

And in case anyone is wondering the smoke from the fires provides an indication of the wind strength and direction (about force 4 or 13-18 mph from 280-290 degrees) but I need to know when. Although I suspect from the state of the tide and number of landing craft that it was between 1100 and 1300 DBST, a more accurate fix would be better.

Brian

Thanks

Hello,

D-Day.

AM [sic] Geddes, Senior Administrative Officer (to ACM Leigh-Mallory), ventured forth in a Mustang aircraft with one port-facing oblique camera. He left RAF Station Northolt at 0935 hours, flew the length of all five beaches at about 1,000 feet running out of film after GOLD beach, but recording everything he saw. Geddes had been a key contributor to the planning of OVERLORD and so knew exactly what to look for. He returned to Northolt at 1125 hours and reported in immediately.

This report gave the high command their first complete view of the invasion situation on each of the beachheads.

Source: PRO document AIR 24/1496 Operations Record Book for 2nd TAF, page 17.

See:
    Angels Eight: Normandy Air War Diary.
    Clark,David.
    N.p.: Author,2003.
    pp.38 & 385.

Col.
    Last edited by COL BRUGGY; 9th June 2015 at 09:55.

Thanks

Excellent, Col, very much appreciated. It's nice to know my estimate of the time was not that far adrift; although I gave a spread there are so few landing craft on the beach my gut feeling was it was earlier rather than later.

Brian

Thanks

Hello,

This might be of interest:

http://www.livescience.com/46064-pil...ay-images.html

Col.

Thanks

Very interesting, Col, thank you. I've written to the author of the article with a view to taking matters a little further.

Cheers

brian