Thread: Kerkor "Kirk" Kerkorian

Thanks

Default Kerkor "Kirk" Kerkorian

I have just noticed in media that a certain Kerkor "Kirk" Kerkorian passed away, and that he was a pilot in ATFERO. I was most surprised to read that he received a payment of $1,000 per delivered plane. Frankly, I am not sure of the whole story. Anybody's care to comment?
    Franek

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

Captains received $1,000 per month but this was taxable and there were no fringe benefits such as a pension fund or insurance - civilian pilots paid for their own insurance. If a pilot was killed, there were no benefits payable to his wife and family other than the insurance and as a result there were a number of cases of hardship.

Robert

Thanks

Thanks, that makes sense. So I understand, he may have taken the risk of not paying for insurance, assuming he was a Captain, indeed. It is claimed, he flew Mosquitoes, but otherwise it seems, he was not very experienced pilot.

Thanks

His obituary was published in today's Daily Telegraph in UK - interesting reading!

Thanks

The following movements of his as a passenger were found on ancestry.com, wartime:

Flew into La Guardia on 15 Mar 1944 on a USAAF ATC aircraft from Stephensville, annotated as being with RAF FC

Arrived in La Guardia on June 16, 1944 aboard a USAAF C-54 from Stephenville.

23 July 1944, flew into New York on an USAAF C-54 from Casablanca. Annotated RAFFC

Sailed back in to New York on board the Queen Mary with a group of RAF Ferry Command personnel on 8th Oct 1944. Thats how its annotated on the scan on Ancestry.com

31 Oct 1944 - Arrived at Washington DC from Stephenville having embarked at Karachi.

I would say then he flew over at least five aircraft!
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 18th June 2015 at 15:34.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

They don't make 'em like that any more?!! Don Bennett, Freddie Laker, and a whole host of similar characters were around at the end of, and in the immediate aftermath, of WW2. Lots of cheap hardware just asking to be bought. It was flown all over the world by the seats of various pants! The Health&Safety, Equality&Diversity, Banking Law, etc, industries would - nowadays - have the conniptions! But these folk were entrepeneurs - some made it, many crashed (both literally and financially!). Most of 'em, if they were alive today, would be doing long spells as Her Majesty's Guests!

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Thanks

And his Ferry Command assignment cards should be on file at DHH in Ottawa.

Robert

Thanks

Being of a vulgar disposition and having a sense of humour to match, I enjoyed the last paragraph of his obituary.

Apparently, his very much younger wife divorced him and sued for very substantial sums of money for child maintenance - so far so good - however DNA testing showed the child was not his!!!

Colin Cummings