Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help searching for a specific aircraft 1941

Thanks

Not knowing the context I would assume veg is reference to a Sea Mine dropped in one of the coastal sea lanes. For 144 Squadron these were nearly all off the Frisians. Sea areas were given vegetable code names and mining operations were referred to as Gardening operations. A Hampden carried one magnetic sea mine dropped at or below 500ft by parachute. The parachute harness released in contact with sea water allowing the mine to sink. Crews were given very specific coordinates where the mine was to be dropped, sometimes based on intelligence, other occasions could be routine.
    Last edited by WOODHEAD; 11th June 2015 at 21:17. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Dear Alvinvwu,
    Veg dropped is definitely a sea mine as described by Woodhead. Veg = Vegetable. (though some of the areas were also flowers)

There is no mention of cameras in the 83 Squadron ORB at the National Archives, but this information is in the RAF Scampton ORB also at NA. Unfortunately this has not been digitised so it would need a personal look up. However I have not found any archive of Aiming Point photos from 83 Squadron from this era despite a lot of looking.

Hope this helps
    James

Thanks

Thanks Woodhead and James for the follow up on the question. Makes sense now! Veg-dropped is written on the ORB's and indeed they are at Frysian waters. About the photographs, it will probably be impossible to tracks that. Thanks anyway!

Thanks

The Hampden couldn't carry the 4000lb bomb but some Wellingtons could.

Minelaying was a common task for Bomber Command, and was known as "gardening". Mines were therefore known as vegetables.