Thread: Norwegian Medal Award

Thanks

Default Norwegian Medal Award

Hello All,

In the LG of 5 Jul 46 (#37642 p3489) permission is given for the wearing of a number of Norwegian decorations awarded by the King of Norway to members of the RAF. The King Haakon VII Freedom Medal was awarded to A/Sqn Ldr George Bosomworth, RAFVR, (140136). He was a Meteorological Officer. Does anyone know the reason(s) for the award? The two things that immediately spring to mind is (a) work with the largely Norwegian crewed Sqns in Scotland, Orkney, and Shetland, and/or (b) work in connection with the “Shetland Bus” (small fishing boats that kept up a service of personnel, agents, and equipment to/from Norway/Shetland during WW2).
    Some of the other names on the award list may give a clue? Somebody might know!

TIA

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter,
    I do not have the answer for your question, but a large number of British was awarded with this cross. For a more elaborate, but not complete list, se here
    http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_o...Is_Frihetskors

I guess the two reasons mentioned are both rather good suggestions.

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Peter,

SqnLdr A.G. BOSOMWORTH, DFC award was for services with Headquarters No. 88 Group - info from "Norwegian War Decorations awarded to members of British Armed Forces 1940-1945 - Arne Simenstad". I leave you to identify just what HQ88 Gp did!

Jim

Thanks

Peter,

Further to my earlier posting, there were at least 30 members of 88 Gp awarded this medal - all "For Services Rendered in connection with the Liberation of Norway, 1945".

Jim

Thanks

Mikkel,
    Thanks for that. I am afraid that my knowledge of the Scandiwegian languages is limited to a few profanities that I learned on exercise (in winter!) in Denmark/Norway. But I may have to find out more about that list!! Thanks yr help.

Jim,
    Thanks for the 88 Grp tip!! Not much known, but I've got my spies out on the hunt. Sounds just like the sort of piratical organisation like the 38 Grp/3 Div joint exercises, under canvas, on Salisbury Plain that I cut my mobility teeth on!! Stones shall be turned over!!

Mni tks

Peter Davies

Thanks

Peter,
    Courtesy of Ray Sturtivant s tome on Support Units/Air Britain,

88 Group formed 10.4.45 at Kinnellan house, Edinburgh, using Turnhouse for Operations 'Apostle' and 'Doomsday'.
    6.5.45 nucleus commenced work.
    12.5.45 element to Oslo
    1.6.45 Norwegian element arrived Gardermoen
    controlled 128, 129, 130 and 132 Wings.
    These Wings were all formed around May 45 to control RAF units in different Norwegian areas.

88 Group Communications Flight operated Anson XII s from Turnhouse and then from 6.7.45 at Gardemoen with detachments at Kjeviky, sola, and Vaernes.

All seems rather late dates, could it possibly be something to do with the return of the Norwegian Units, although how this was called Doomsday intrigues?

As usual one question brings another...good luck!
    regards Peter

Thanks

Peter,

VMT that info (and my copy of Sturtivant was on the table beside me!! Tsk Tsk).

Tks again

Peter Davies