Thread: Bomb Disposal Squad

Thanks

Default Bomb Disposal Squad

Hi all,

I would like to ask if anybody can help me with following information about Bomb Disposal Squads in UK during the Blitz 1941:

1) in BDS were only soldiers (pyrotechnists) or also civilians/volunteers?
    2) what was the equipment of such a BDS?
    3) any informations about procedures how to safely remove fuse locking-ring?

TIA

Pavel

Thanks

I can answer question (3): Let a professional do it.

Thanks

Principally RE although there were RAF and RN bomb disposal squads. At least one civilian Charles Henry George Howard, 20th. Earl of Suffolk. (Danger UXB - M.J. Jappy)

Thanks

Pavel, an excellent book "Danger UXB" by Major Bill Hartley will have most of your answers or googling "Bomb Disposal". I trust you are not attempting to remove a fuze yourself, apart from anti handling most HE will be crystalline and very sensitive. Procedure normally now is to imunise the fuze and then trepan to remove the filling by steaming and then using a small charge to blow the fuze & pocket. Early RE teams had a 3 ton truck and a car or pick up. Kit was little more than a fuze key, later a cord operated fuze puller and shovels. and a long rope. Pete

Thanks

Hi chaps,

many thanks for your posts.
    Do not worrry I have no bomb in my garden and I am not going to remove fuse locking-ring myself:-)
    I was just interested in structure of such a squad if there were only soldiers or also civilians and what kind of equipment they were using generally and my particular interest is in any "instrument" for removing locking ring of enemy bomb.

Pavel

Thanks

I think the civilian reffered to above was from a research dept, the incident at Richmond Park or that area. One of the tools that had a very effective but short life was the British penny coin. BD crews found that it shorted the charging terminals on the ECR fuzes and discharged them. All was great until one of the newspapers (Sketch or Mirror) picked up the story and front paged it. Next day it was found the hard way that Germans read British papers too and the BDO was killed