Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: service record help

Thanks

Default service record help

Hello,
    I am new here and looking for any information on my Uncle who served in the RAF during WWII. My Mother and two Aunt's are all that are left in the family and I am the youngest of his Nieces and Nephews. I am especially interested in locating his Service Records and Pay Book. I do have his Medals that my Aunt ordered back in the 1980's. If anybody can steer me to the information it would be greatly appreciated. I am more than happy to provide and information on him that I can. In short he was Sgt. Ernest Leslie King and he was a tailgunner in the RAF. His plane went down 14.2.44 in the Irish Sea. He was from Newfoundland which is now part of Canada. He was 21 when he died. I have not yet researched the 4 Medals that were passed down to me by my Aunt. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    b

Thanks

Possibly on board Halifax BB278 of 1674 HCU, but hopefully Ross will be able to confirm this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    Possibly on board Halifax BB278 of 1674 HCU, but hopefully Ross will be able to confirm this.
    Thanks.
    I just received an email from author Peter Connon and he believes it was Handley Page Halifax Mark II. Its RAF serial was BB278 as well.

Thanks

Hi Bob,

Veteran Affairs Canada has the following info http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/rememb...detail/1526287

This gives a little insight like his service # 798753 and his unit when he was killed, 1674 Conversion Unit.

Those two details will help open plenty of doors to further your research. As Newfoundland was not yet part of Canada in 1944, I'm not sure if the Canadian archives hold his service record, but surely one of the more informed member of this forum will be able to tell you. The service record is quite a wonderful set of documents, though it takes some time to learn how to decifer the abreviations etc.

I too began a search into my uncle's story about a year and a half ago. I wish you all the best of luck and I promise you that your time spent will be well rewarded.

Ken Horne
    Edmonton, Canada

Thanks

Thanks.
    Canada has been little help and told be to contact the UK. I have yet to hear back from the RAF site.
    Good luck in your search as well. I have his wallet, armband and stripes which are out being framed along with the Medals my Aunt ordered in the 80's.
    Cheers
    b

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Horne View Post
    Hi Bob,

Veteran Affairs Canada has the following info http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/rememb...detail/1526287

This gives a little insight like his service # 798753 and his unit when he was killed, 1674 Conversion Unit.

Those two details will help open plenty of doors to further your research. As Newfoundland was not yet part of Canada in 1944, I'm not sure if the Canadian archives hold his service record, but surely one of the more informed member of this forum will be able to tell you. The service record is quite a wonderful set of documents, though it takes some time to learn how to decifer the abreviations etc.

I too began a search into my uncle's story about a year and a half ago. I wish you all the best of luck and I promise you that your time spent will be well rewarded.

Ken Horne
    Edmonton, Canada

Thanks

I expect that you've been told to "contact" the UK because of the fact he died whilst with a UK based HCU. The service record will only hold details of which unit he was with when he died (1674 CU) so you need to access the 1674 ORB, or the AM Form 1180 (Accident Record Card) for Halifax BB278. The latter can be requested from the Department of Research and Information (DoRIS) of the RAF Museum Hendon.

Thanks

https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...ervice-records

The Canadian archives quite correctly told you to contact the RAF archives because was a serving RAF member and not a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF).

The RAF service file can be obtained by sending them a properly filled out request form and payment as detailed in the link above. Have you done this or just emailed them.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

Celtic Bob,

Recently, a new Clasp has been issued to honour of members of Bomber Command.
    In the UK it is referred to as a Clasp, in Canada it's called a Bar.

I'm not sure if your uncle qualifies for the award; however, it would be worth your looking into.

I, too, wish you success in your research.

Thanks

Thanks again for all the info and help. I will look into the links in the morning. Until today I never even knew his planes name let alone squadron or company. All we had was his service number and that he went down in the Irish Sea on 14.2.44.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlanW View Post
    I expect that you've been told to "contact" the UK because of the fact he died whilst with a UK based HCU. The service record will only hold details of which unit he was with when he died (1674 CU) so you need to access the 1674 ORB, or the AM Form 1180 (Accident Record Card) for Halifax BB278. The latter can be requested from the Department of Research and Information (DoRIS) of the RAF Museum Hendon.
    I emailed the RAF Museum Cosford and they just replied saying they have forwarded my request to the London branch.

The plane and bodies were recovered. Does anyone know if it was salvaged and kept or what became of it? Would love to see it.
    Thanks a lot.
    b.