Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unidentified polish airman's grave

Thanks

Default Unidentified polish airman's grave

On 20th August 1942, Wellington 1c serial no Z1172 crashed into the sea off Treaddur Bay, Anglesey. The reason is still unknown. The entire crew were killed and five of them were buried at Newark Cemetery. The sixth member of the crew, Sgt. Grzegorz Piotr Gramiak, was buried at Carleton Cemetery, Blackpool.

It seems likely that his body was not washed ashore for some time as the funeral was recorded in the December quarter of 1942.

Recently, a Polish investigator was unable to find his grave (which is listed as being grave no 437 in section BB of that cemetery). Is anyone aware of the precise location of the grave - his family in Poland would really like a photograph of the grave and final confirmation of his last resting place.

He is not recorded in the CWGC list of burials there, although various other sources cite that location and there is no other reason to doubt the official records. On the other hand, if his grave is not marked, I would like to ask the CWGC to mark the grave and to care for it if necessary. That is the least we can do for an American born Pole who fought and died for this country.

If anyone can help - especially someone living in Blackpool - please do.

Many thanks
    Neville Bougourd

Thanks

Hello Neville

I have found this Polish database:

http://niebieskaeskadra.pl/?control=2#

List of cemeteries (326)

Select (country) Wielka Brytania and you will find the entry to the two Blackpool cemeteries, Layton and Carleton.

Section BB - Grave 437 could indicate to be the Layton cemetery on Talbot Road.

I have checked the graves included photos and names of the Polish airmen buried there, but no grave no. 437 or Sgt. Grzegorz Piotr Gramiak.

Guide to the cemetery of Layton

http://image2.findagrave.com/photos/...1420603099.jpg

----------------

Another Polish website:

http://felsztyn.tripod.com/id22.html

Gramiak, Grzegorz Piotr, st. szer., 20.8.42, Blackpool, W. Bryt., CP, Talbot Td., dz. p., ?

Best regards

Finn Buch

Thanks

Neville, you do not list your souces, although I suspect they might be those quoted by Finn. Have you sought help from the Blackpool authorities? If not go to https://www.blackpool.gov.uk/Residen...-cemetery.aspx, and there is a facility there to find a grave - for a very small fee.

Many (not all) cemeteries maintain records of burials - I've used them myself to locate graves of long dead ancestors - it's usually a case of finding the right authority. I notice the second reference given by Finn has a question mark against it, so it is just possible the grave might be in another location.

Brian

Thanks

Hello Brian,

Thanks for that information. I will certainly give it a try. My sources are many and varied! Some show no burial place, some simply say Blackpool and two quote Carleton Cemetery'

Neville

Thanks

Hello Finn

I think you may have provided the key! With both Blackpool cemeteries having a section BB and possibly a grave 437, we may have been looking in the wrong place. All my sources quote no grave site, some simply say Blackpool and two say Carleton Cemetery. To be honest, I must have jumped the gun and assumed it was Carleton because two sources named it. Part one of your answer has changed all that!

Part two is what I hope will be the key.

st.szer = sergeant
    W. Bryt = Great Britain
    CP = captain pilot = first pilot
    Talbot Td must mean Talbot Road
    dz.p = dzialan polski = Polish section

So I think that Layton Cemetery is where I should have been looking. Many thanks for your enlightening information.

Neville

Thanks

Try posting on the Lancashire pages of Rootschat. People on there are great at finding graves & getting photos especially of wartime casualties

Thanks

Hi All,

I live a few miles from both Carleton and Layton Cemeteries and I plan to visit later today or tomorrow.

Has anybody else visited already as I don't want to duplicate effort?

Layton appears to be run from Carleton so I plan to visit the latter first.

Simon Kularatne
    Secretary
    102 (Ceylon) Squadron association

Thanks

Thanks Pete,

I will do that

nEVILLE

Thanks

Hello Simon,

Both cemeteries have a plot 437/BB! A new find on the Internet says that the cemetery is on Talbot Road so I think he must actually be in Layton cemetery. I would really appreciate your help in locating the grave.

Many thanks
    Neville

Thanks

Hi Neville,

A member on another board has one of the staff checking for the grave so I will await the result of that.

Happy to take photos when we find the grave

Regards,

Simon