Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fl/Lt Leslie Victor Walsh 150 Sdn

Thanks

Default Fl/Lt Leslie Victor Walsh 150 Sdn

Hello all

Wondered if any members had any details on this chap

I noticed that on a google search there was a link to an archived section of the forum from back in 2003 I think were somebody else was seeking info.

I know he is listed on CWGC and is buried in Brigg Cemetery date of death given as 4th January 1945 and classed as air gunner aged 25yrs.

I have a marriage for him to a local girl in 1942 and he is listed as being with 150 Sdn at the time of his death.

Wondered if he was a second tour man and also how he died .. have a lead on a motorbike accident ...

Regards

Gary

Thanks

Gary, Hi,

619525 Flt Sgt Leslie Victor Walsh Commissioned Plt Off(p) RAFVR GD Branch (52309) 10 May 43 (Note he also comes up in the LG under 50309 which might be a typo, or OCR error?). 619525 Enlisted from Civilian after Mar 1938. MiD 14 Jun 45 (deceased).

HTH

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 17th June 2015 at 11:17.
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Peter ..

Many thanks for that information ... I am guessing that will need to send for his service record to find out his postings ... but I am thinking a local squadron to the Brigg/Scunthorpe area for a first tour and then perhaps posted back to Hemswell either for a second or instructing duties.

I have a photograph of him ( un named ) but standing in a cornfield wearing a sheepskin flying jacket ... was told by the family that he had married a local girl and I located his grave last week in Brigg ... guessing that the local paper may have carried a report of his death at the time ...

Cheers
    Gary

Thanks

Gary

Marriages Q4 1942
    Duffill May Walsh Scunthorpe 7a 1872
    Walsh Leslie V Duffill Scunthorpe 7a 1872

HTH

Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Again .. thanks Peter ... this ties up with the details on CWGC ... now to try to trace any obit in the local press of the time.

Gary

Thanks

Hello Gary,

Can't believe it was 2003 when I posted the initial enquiry! Can't tell you much apart from cause of death. Flight Lieutenant Walsh was killed in a road accident. Off duty, he was riding as a passenger in an ambulance when it overturned on Burton Road, Lincoln. (Source: Air Historical Branch).

regards,
    Dave.

Thanks

Thanks Dave..

I have replied to your PM ..

Gary

Thanks

The ambulance accident was reported in several contemporary newspapers. The accident took place at the junction of Yarborough Road and West Parade, Lincoln at around 9.10pm. Walsh was trapped under the overturned ambulance, which had crashed into the wall of St Martin's Parish Church. Cause of death was given as a fracture to the base of the skull.

The Lincolnshire Echo of 13 February reports that the driver, F/O Gerald Alexander Stuart, who had been charged with manslaughter, was acquitted at his trial. He was also found not guilty of dangerous driving, and discharged. Road conditions at the time of the accident were described as very bad, with ice and snow on the road surface - one local witness described the conditions as the most dangerous he had seen for 40 years.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Just to update on this thread I have a picture of a young lad believed to be wearing Walsh's flying kit ... and still to scan in the photo of the man in question and a possible Wellington A/C he flew in...but it seems I can not add images to the post do I have to load them into gallery ?
    Cheers
    Gary
    Last edited by Ludford101; 20th May 2016 at 15:10.

Thanks

Now have the serial number of the aircraft DV952 which was a Wellington IC
    But the squadron code is a little confusing IP which appears from lists to be the BCIS
    but is followed by DH ( IP roundel DH ).
    I wondered if this was an aircraft that Walsh had flown in either on ops or as an instructor
    Regards
    Gary