Thread: No. 2 Air Gunners School Bail Out - 17th November 1942

Thanks

Default No. 2 Air Gunners School Bail Out - 17th November 1942

I wonder if anyone can help with this one?

I have notes of an air gunner, Sergeant Eric Ewan, training at No. 2 AGS, when on November 17th 1942 he and four crew were forced to bail out of their aircraft, Eric becoming a member of the Caterpillar Club. I cant remember where I found the information, but for some reason I've noted that they came down at Maltby in Yorkshire, not far from their base of RAF Finningley. (No. 2 AGS were at Dalcross at the time!)

I have a letter sent to him from the Club enclosing his badge dated February 19th 1943 which states 'I am terribly sorry that you have had to wait so long for your Caterpillar pin...' So even only three months after the incident the date would appear to fit (He had yet to start operations, even though his family always believed it was for a bail out over Germany).

I wonder if anyone has any details of the incident? Aircraft (I assume a Wellington), crew, outcome (anyone killed in the incident) and if they have confirmation of date.

Much appreciated, many thanks

Thanks

Digging around a bit more I have found a possible candidate in BK193, which was with No. 25 OTU at Finningley. Only names I have are (Pilot) Sgt Fred Allcroft RCAF and (bomb aimer) F/O Edward Newson. Unfortunately no other names are mentioned. Apparently a mistake was made and fuel to the engines was cut, resulting in the crash. Newson died in the aircraft or after bailing out, Allcroft survived.

Finningley would match, and it seems Ewan's unit at the time was probably No. 25 OTU which would seem logical (even though I don't have that noted on my record). If anyone can help confirm I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

What you have agrees with what I have, but no more names though. A/c came down 2m NW of Maltby.

DaveW

Thanks

I've found BK193, a Wellington III of 25 OTU and the facts are as you report.

I can't find anything related to 2 AGS but a couple of Bothas from 4 AGS around that date are the only gunnery school losses I could find.

Could the units be the problem? That is, the man has moved from 2 AGS to an OTU fairly recently but for some reason. I've also had a quick glance at Chorley but can only match BK193.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

I have checked my notes from the 2 AGS ORB (AIR 29/589) and there is no mention of a loss on 17/11/42, that's not so say there wasn't one but I think the transfer to 25 OTU is a more likely explanation.

Keith

Thanks

Looks like we need the Form 541 for the OTU!

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Bryers View Post
    I have checked my notes from the 2 AGS ORB (AIR 29/589) and there is no mention of a loss on 17/11/42, that's not so say there wasn't one but I think the transfer to 25 OTU is a more likely explanation.

Keith
    Hi Keith,

Do you have a copy of the 2 AGS ORB? If so, can you tell me if it contains lists of pupils and/or squad/course group photos?

Thanks

Sorry Pieter, I looked at the ORB in 1975 or 1977 and I cannot honestly remember if there were lists of pupils or group photos. I certainly did not note down that there were any. There certainly were with some other ORBs.
    Keith