Thread: Non Commonwealth Search facility on CWGC

Thanks

Default Non Commonwealth Search facility on CWGC

Hi All,

Posted this on a thread but thought it deserved a wider audience.

You can now use the Commonwealth War Graves Commission advanced search for non commonwealth/dominion deaths.

Got to the advanced page search

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx

Under nationality you will now find a new box marked non commonwealth.

Tick this and a drop down box appears with Polish, Czech, Dutch etc.

If you click Polish and add the date range 14 07 1944 to 14 07 1944 then search three names are found.

JAREMIK, J Szeregowiec 14/07/1944 Polish Army Polish Plot I Row F Grave 11. KANTARA WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY
    LEIBEL, J Podporucznik 14/07/1944 Polish Army Polish Plot W Grave 29. RAMLEH WAR CEMETERY
    WLODARSKI, ALFRED KRZYSZTOF Kapral 14/07/1944 Polish Air Force Polish Section N Grave 117 PR. HARROW (EASTCOTE LANE) CEMETERY

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Ross,

Hearty thanks for the wake-up call!

Col.

Thanks

Hello Ross

Thanks for the info.

Mark

Thanks

Thanks Ross,

This will be a great benefit to me in my Polish research.

Thanks

Well, well, well.

A decade or so ago and before the online system existed, I made great use of the printed registers (you could loan these, buy copies or go to a decent library) and I sometimes followed up with letters asking for details of: 'non Commonwealth personnel, in the care of the commission'. These were always answered because the information existed of course.

I proposed several times that these records should be included in the registers when reprinted (I didn't know about their online plans at that stage), however, it was not done. I am now very pleased to learn of this new initiative and will try it out soon.

As an aside, I have always admired the work of CWGC and have appreciated greatly the help they have given me over the years.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Colin

I always thought they should have wiki where members of the public could add more details . I think they would be worried that "non checked" data could be attributed to them but this could easily be negated by having a disclaimer on the page

I am sure (at least in RAF and Navy losses) a lot more detail on individual cause could be added to each record maybe also some army losses (at least what battle/event) in in unit diary

Paul

Thanks

The Australian War memorial website was interesting. I found a summary to my great uncle, killed 21 Sep 1917, in which there was a comment that he had been cited for an MM but death had intervened. Each record seems to include scanned data and is very informative.

Colin Cummings