Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 O.T.U. Whitley crash before July 1940 P/O Aage Valdemar Helstrup Laursen (42715)

Thanks

Default 10 O.T.U. Whitley crash before July 1940 P/O Aage Valdemar Helstrup Laursen (42715)

I am seeking details on the crash in which P/O Aage Valdemar Helstrup Laursen (42715) was injured as a passenger.

The crash occurred whist he was in training with 10 O.T.U. at Abingdon and it occurred before July 1940.

Any information would be welcome.

Regards,

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Time range must be 18 Sep 39 - 5 July 40 as his short service commission was "terminated on cessation of duty" at this point.

More on the man, but unfortunately not on the crash:
    http://danishww2pilots.dk/profiles.php?id=234

Mikkel
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Nothing to add on the crash, but he's featured in a photo on the Getty Images archive:

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/...-photo/3376430

A similar photo was used in an article on the front page of the Yorkshire Post of October 10th 1940, about the many nationalities of the A.T.A.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Thanks for the information chaps. Nice photo that Simon.

Lauren left the RAF following the crash and joined the ATA.
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

A few possibilities from Air-Britain's crashlists:
    05.05.40, K9007
    09.05.40, K7227 (belly landed Pershore, piloted by later Air Cdr D M Strong)

I have ruled out K8957 (crashed 08.04.40) as crew list does not list Laursen, and that only one crew survived.

Mikkel
    Last edited by Mikkel Plannthin; 23rd June 2015 at 06:10. Reason: serial was wrong
    Britain's Victory, Denmark's Freedom. Danish Volunteers in Allied Air Forces During the Second World War
    fb.me/britainsvictorydenmarksfreedom
    danishww2pilots.dk - a resource on Danish aircrew during the Second World War

Thanks

Jim,

Have you tried contacting the owner of the website http://www.rafabingdon10otu.co.uk/index.html

Martyn

Thanks

Hello

I've checked the index of the AIR 81 files already released (index which was provided here, credits to the compilers, more efficient than I was on this), but Laursen doesn't appear. But not all crews are listed, so he might be in one of those. I've not checked the units to which those Whitleys belonged, these being mostly front line Squadrons :
    AIR 81/156 Pilot Officer R Hall: report of death; Whitley N1352 crashed off the coast of Scotland, 18 April 1940; remainder of crew survived uninjured
    AIR 81/159 Sergeant R H Burr: slightly injured; Whitley N1387 force landed; crew had abandoned aircraft earlier, 17 April 1940
    AIR 81/191 Aircraftman 1st Class A Hepburn: injured. Squadron Leader G P Marvin: injured and subsequently died; Whitley N1406 ran out of fuel and was abandoned, 3 May 1940
    AIR 81/460 Aircraftman 1st Class J P Atkinson: injured; gunshot wound; Whitley P4960, 22 May 1940
    AIR 81/958 Sergeant S M Savill and Sergeant J M Dawson: injured; Whitley N1476 in air operations near Schwerte, Germany, 20 June 1940
    AIR 81/1007 Pilot Officer H M Selwyn: missing believed prisoner of war; bailed out of Whitley P4972 after being damaged by enemy action over North West Germany, 3 July 1940

Just my two pence worth, accessing the ORB of No. 10 O.T.U. would be the quickest way to find, surely.

Joss

Thanks

Hi
    K9007(from Mikel's post), is recorded in Ghorley Vol 7(OTU,s) as crashing with a jammed u/c on a circuits and bumps sortie at Abingdon 0n 5/5/40. Only the pilot-P/O W T Davies is named but it is recorded that the co-pilot and W/op baled out. It would not be unusual if the crew were "stripped down" for just circuit training. There is no mention of any injuries.
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Hi Martyn,

I'll try the guy who runs that website, many thanks.

Jim
    Jim Corbett

Thanks

Hi Mikkel, Joss & Dick for comprehensive replies.

I understand that he was a passenger and not officially part of the crew makeup. I will continue digging and report back.

Mikkel - are you interested in the information I have for your website entry for Aage Laursen? If so send me a PM with your email address.
    Jim Corbett