Thread: What happened to prototype Sunderland?

Thanks

Default What happened to prototype Sunderland?

Does anyone know, for sure, what happened to prototype Sunderland K4774? I have a flying log entry for it at Helensburgh, while with the MAEE, as late as April 1944. Presumably it was by then worn out or damaged beyond repair in a trial? I have one unconfirmed report that is was soc on June 21 1947. So what happened to K4774 after April 1944? robin bird

Thanks

AB "K" serials suggests it was SOC in 1944

Ian

Thanks

John Hamlin, in Ocean Sentinel from Air Britain, states that the last known flight was September 1942. I'm sure he would love to have additional information.
    Last edited by Graham Boak; 25th June 2015 at 22:02.

Thanks

The Sunderland: Flying-Boat Queen, Volume 3 by John Evans states "survived various mishaps and was still flying to April 1944"

Thanks

from robin bird: thank you for the feedback. K4774 was damaged during a depth bomb trial with MAEE during April 44, so that probably finished it off. K4774 had been a willing workhorse making a major contribution to the development of Sunderland Mks and anti submarine warfare.

Thanks

Hamlin states that it was damaged by a depth charge explosion at Helensburgh 13 February 1942. A curious coincidence...

Thanks

Graham-it could have happened a couple of times. I know Fox flew K4774 on April 13, 44, then it disappears off MAEE flying logs that I have. Fl.Lt Fox is one of the MAEE test pilots I have no information on although I now have the majority of pilots documented. thanks for the feedback, robin bird