Thread: Sunderland

Thanks

Default Sunderland

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help. Bit of a long shot though. My father had this in his collection and not sure why as he was in the Navy at the time! I have upload the image but not sure how to link it. I cant see any markings on it other than the W.

Any comments most welcome

http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries...e-Journeys-end

Thanks

Hi,

I would ques it might an Sunderland of Far East Flying Boat Wing, No. 88, 205 and 209 Squadron in post-war period with base in Seletar.
    You did not mentioned the period and area where he served but I would expect that he can met Sunderland somewhere?

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Hi
    The photo probably doesn't lend itself to much enlargement but there is a tantalising image just above the head of the man at the forward door and it looks like the Squadron Badge, you might get a good enough image to identify the Squadron by comparing it with images on rafweb.org
    Regards
    Dick

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_RAF View Post
    Hi,

I would ques it might an Sunderland of Far East Flying Boat Wing, No. 88, 205 and 209 Squadron in post-war period with base in Seletar.
    You did not mentioned the period and area where he served but I would expect that he can met Sunderland somewhere?

Pavel

He was in the navy and was commanded a few landing craft at Dieppe, Omaha beach (pointe du hoc) and then the Holland landing 1944/45 . On the back was written - Singapore - journeys end - Feb 1946. Other than that I do know much more

Thanks

Given the date, the aircraft is most likely PP107 of 209 Sq.

Source: Ocean Sentinel by John Hamlin, published by Air Britain.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robvaughan1005 View Post
    Hi I was wondering if anyone can help. Bit of a long shot though. My father had this in his collection and not sure why as he was in the Navy at the time! I have upload the image but not sure how to link it. I cant see any markings on it other than the W.

Any comments most welcome

http://www.rafcommands.com/galleries...e-Journeys-end
    Hello

The aircraft serial number is on the tail, rear of the W, is it readable with a higher resolution scan of the tail?

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 26th June 2015 at 07:54.

Thanks

Squinting at the squadron badge Dick spotted, is that a diagonal design running lower left-upper right? Might suggest 88 Sqdn if so (alas, too technically-challenged to post a pic here, but it's a snake aligned in that way). But however I enlarge that Sunderland pic it's remains blurred - so hardly conclusive. Sorry for the speculation!

Cheers, Pat

Thanks

Hi
    If Pat can discern a diagonal design bottom left to top right it would fit 88Sqn although their design is a wriggling snake and not a straight line. From the other suggested Sqns ,205 has crossed diagonals made by a sword and a trident, 209 has a spreadeagled bird-like design,possibly a phoenix. They can all be viewed on rafweb.org
    Regards
    Dick