Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for information on Father's service

Thanks

Hello Beth

I have made an electronic search of the Scottish Births Register from 1920 to 1924 for the surname of Harvey with any forename beginning with the letter 'K'. There is a male with one of his forenames as 'Kay', but it is not 1923 and does not carry 'Burke', which incidentally is also a surname.

AIR 78 has been searched for the surname "Burke-Harvey", under Burke too.

The RAE references SME and the Flights are interesting.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 29th June 2015 at 19:54.

Thanks

Mark, I don't recall ever hearing of name changes in the family but could be possible. I do not have a birth certificate for him but I believe he signed everything official as Kaye Burke Harvey. I recall him saying that family documents were all destroyed when the church that held the records was bombed during the war. When my father applied for Canadian citizenship in the 70s he had no official documentation so had to have certified letters from people in both Canada and Scotland who could verify his 'life'. As well, his two brothers (I do not know if they had official documents or not) both eventually worked for the Canadian Government in Ottawa so they would have had to have something official in order to do that, hence I do not believe there were any name changes. My grandfather was Robert Cochrane Harvey b. Feb. 3, 1900 Renfrewshire and died Mar. 26, 1956 Niagara Falls. My grandmother was Margaret Anne Burke b. Mar. 13, 1901 Renfrewshsire d. June 1992 Aberfeldy. The Burke family name was given to my father, Kaye Burke Harvey. His one brother was James Harvey and youngest Richard Thomas Burke Harvey. First and third sons got the Burke name apparently. Brothers and sisters on both sides of my grandparents - Richard, William, Hugh and Hamish Harvey and Thomas, Elizabeth and William Burke were all born in Renfrewshire/Giffnoch/Glasgow areas. Hamish (James) moved to Australia and Thomas moved to Powell River, BC but the rest stayed in Scotland till they died. I just discovered some more notes today...he told me my grandparents and their two dogs immigrated to Canada in 1948 or 1949 departing Liverpool on the Royal Mail Steamer Nova Scotia arriving in Halifax, NS. I assume my dad was with them, at least his stories implied that. His brothers were already in Vancouver, BC at university. Perhaps I can find something on their entry to Canada on a passenger list. Nothing like a good mystery!

Thanks

My father did say he flew a lot of test flights during that time. Like I said I may have written 18,000 instead of 1,800 or his misspoke at the time. He was 17 when we went to Cadet training with EFTS in Cranwell in 1940 and grounded in 1948 or 1949 he couldn't remember so perhaps that is a more likely figure. Ironically, he said he had never driven a car, only flown planes….or so the story goes!

Thanks

Hello Beth

You mentioned:- "I recall him saying that family documents were all destroyed when the church that held the records was bombed during the war. When my father applied for Canadian citizenship in the 70s he had no official documentation" ...

He may have told you this, but I wonder what he told the Canadians when he applied for Citizenship? Because the Church ceased to be responsible for registering a birth in Scotland from 1854.

In 1854 the State/Government in Scotland took over Statutory registration and the birth entry should be held at Register House Edinburgh and also likely at the District Registry Office who are now responsible, for the District where the birth occurred.

http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/about-us/our-history

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 30th June 2015 at 07:05.

Thanks

Well that's a good question! Whatever he told them, he got the Canadian citizenship in the 1970s, for what particular reason I am not sure, perhaps to collect Canada Pension he paid in to on retirement ?? My birth certificate in 1956 shows his citizenship as British. He travelled to Scotland a number of times I know prior to that I am sure so I assume he would have to have had a British passport and to get a British passport that would mean he would need a British birth certificate ?? This is getting quite complicated! My mother was a Canadian and the copy of marriage certificate has his POB listed as Scotland in 1953. I will have to check out if I could get his citizenship file. Thanks Mark.

Thanks

Mark, I just remembered something. Back in the late 90s I read that Canadian citizens who had a British parent could apply for a British passport so I looked into it and they required a parent's birth certificate so as my father said he didn't have his, I wrote to the Registrar anyways or someone in Edinburgh or Glasgow requesting one and paid the fee. To make a long story short, I received a letter from them, they returned the fee, and said there were no records of his birth and no further information. That kind of was the end of it, although I was able to apply for a British work visa for up to a four year stay by using my grandmother on my mother's side who was born in England. I visited for a month then returned to Canada due to a family medical issue and unfortunately never was able to return during that four years it was valid. So, it appears even they do not have anything but maybe I will try again. Perhaps I could search out his brothers (my uncles) through there…may have better luck with them and be worth a try.

Thanks

Hello Beth

You claimed that Robert Cochrane HARVEY was your Grandfather, born Scotland 1900.

http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/researc...-and-marriages General information.

http://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/researc...arching-online On ScotlandsPeople (gov.uk) site, £7.00 will buy 30 credits. You can search for free, but to reveal the name, year and Registration District costs 1 credit for each search. It seems name spelling must be exact.

Robert Cochrane HARVEY has a:-
    Birth entry in 1901.
    Birth and Death entry in 1923.
    Marriage in 1926.

The 1926 Marriage gives Margaret Annie BURKE in the District of Hillhead (image not seen) and apparently you can obtain an image for only an additional 5 credits. Scottish Certificates usually show more information than English.

Perhaps the official immigration file and your father's brothers if still around?

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 30th June 2015 at 08:53.

Thanks

Interesting…thank you Mark! I have my grandmothers name according to my father as Margaret Anne Burke but her mother's name was Annie Young who was born in 'the 'highlands', her father was Thomas Burke BTB born in Renfrewshire, Giffnoch or Glasgow so definitely I need to do some research there. Hillhead seems to be a district of Glasgow. My father was born in 1923…could that account for a lack of a BC if never registered…hmmm, the plot thickens...and I believe his brother James was born 3 years later which would make it 1926 and other brother Richard 3 years after that. My sister had already done some research awhile back on my grandmother and there appeared to be another Margaret Burke, possibly a cousin, also with connections to Western Canada. I think she came to a bit of a dead end or abandoned the search but I will check with her first.

Thanks

Hello Beth

The Scottish marriage must have been an 'Irregular' Marriage? Because it says on the printed marriage form in one column "If an Irregular Marriage, Date of Decree of Declarator, or of Sheriff's Warrant." and they were married by "Warrant of Sheriff - Substitute, of Lanarkshire," ...

http://m.jsh.oxfordjournals.org/cont...sh.sht041.full

We have gone off subject here, but to apply for any Official record, or Service record (fee non returnable), a family will know the names that appear in the Service record, as they usually have to make a declaration of kinship.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 1st July 2015 at 22:10.

Thanks

Thanks again Mark. I appreciate your help with the family side and will be speaking to my sister this week and run all this by her. We are the next of kin. I have the forms ready to go for service records and really only have name and DOB and info I have provided on the forum, no ID numbers, etc. My previous request to Scotland for his BC about 12 years ago (when he was still alive) came up with nothing.

So back to the military side, I still have some questions regarding the plane compass I have as well as the student handwritten training note book that I mentioned in my first posts so will get back to that in a separate message soon.

Beth