Thread: halifax 111 lw 627 w

Thanks

Default halifax 111 lw 627 w

does anyone know if its possible to get a picture of a particular halifax mark 3
    the only info ihave is LW 627 W which my uncle was the rear gunner on or a picture
    of his crew, they served with 76 sqd between oct 44 to march 45
    the crew are as follows
    f/lt r b hutchinson
    p/o d m brown
    p/o j m stewart
    f/sgt d s dare
    f/sgt n e walton
    f/sgtk m sommerville [ my uncle ]
    sgt f d harrop

Thanks

Hello Paul,

I've just spotted your post about photographs of 76 Squadron Halifax LW627 code "MP-W" and crew. I have looked through my collection earlier when we communicated in September so thought I'd carry out a further search. Alas, no success. So all I can do is unless you have already done so, suggest you carry out the following tasks:

1) 'Google' search for the aircraft, using different search parameters.
    2) Look through the many books out about the Halifax - public libraries ideal place to start.
    3) Search the Flight Magazine archives for mention of crew and/or aircraft <http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/index.html>
    4) Ask the RAF Museum and ask for a aircraft movement card for Halifax LW627which will show the aircrafts service, i.e. sqn to sqn in which case there may be a photo on another sqn.<http://www.nationalcoldwarexhibition.org/research/enquiries.cfm>
    5) Ask the Imperial War Museum <http://collections.iwm.org.uk/>
    6) The Aeroplane Magazine <http://www.aeroplanemonthly.co.uk/contact/> & Flypast Magazine <http://www.flypast.com/contact.asp> may also be able to help but you would need to check.
    7) Ask your family members. As you have mentioned Sommerville was your Uncle, then perhaps Sommerville's next-of-kin is some one else? If you are able to find out the servicemans home town then your search widens with local papers and what they may have carried about him.
    8) Were the crew or any crew member casualties of the war? If so then the CWGC casualty reports could supply clues i.e. ages & next-of-kin. This could help trace any family.
    9) What were the crew fuctions? - i.e. Gunners at Gunnery school, Wireless Operators at Signal schools.
    10) Were the crew all British or were there any from the Commonwealth? If so you may be able to use the respective countries national archives. Both Australia and Canada have excellent resources for the public.

Incidentaly, from all the posts about 76 Squadron I have been involved with on this forum, they always seem to carry the code "MP-W" - quite amazing.

Good Luck

Norman

P.S. Always remember copyright issues from the sources.
    Last edited by namrondooh; 5th November 2010 at 22:49. Reason: re arranging layout for ease of reading

Thanks

As Norman knows well, we first "met" on the forum when we discovered that both the planes we were researching were coded MP-W - one immediately after the other in a matter of hours. It would be interesting to see just how many MP-Ws there were over the course of the war.

I wonder how difficult it would be to find out?
    David

Thanks

Default 76 Squadrons "MP-W's"

Hello,

I have often thought about this as before I learnt the ways of Bomber Command aircraft markings, I spotted David Fuller's inquiry about MP-W crashing near the D-Day landing beaches killing the navigator when I already knew that MP-W had crashed at Longvilliers and the navigator had survived. Well folowing my QRA to Eastern Canada, it soon came to light that both aircraft were from the same squadron, each took off hours between each other, both came from the same flight and both carried same MP-W code. Since then (2008) four further MP-W crashes have been discussed.

Over the years, I have been fortunate in corresponding with most kind & interesting people one of whom kindly gave me copies of 76 Sqn ORBs complimenting ones that I had previously purchased from Kew. So as soon as I am able I shall carry out a head count.

Norman

Thanks

9 Halifax aircraft that carried the MP-W code were lost in WWII:

L9604 HAMBURG 30 Nov - 1 Dec 1941
    DK174 COLOGNE 03-04 Jul 1943
    DK247 KASSEL 03-04 Oct 1943
    MZ575 HASSELL 12-13 May 1944
    LW647 NUREMBURG 30-31 Mar 1944
    DT698 STUTTGART 14-15 Apr 1944
    MZ604 TRAPPES 02-03 Jun 1944
    LW638 MONT FLURY 05-06 Jun 1944
    NA567 BOCHUM 09-10 Oct 1944

This does not include aircraft that survived the war while on 76 Sqn, transferred to other units, scrapped/written off while on 76 Sqn.

Thanks

Yes, I have a photo of LW 627 W. My father was R B Hutchinson.