Thread: German Map Coordinates listed in Service Record

Thanks

Default German Map Coordinates listed in Service Record

In my uncle's service record, they list map coordinates as M54,T11, or M53 Y18 or M54, T12. Can anyone help me understand how these coordinates relate to the map of Germany?

Thanks

David

Thanks

At first glance they seem to be Modified British System

This site explains all

http://www.echodelta.net/mbs/eng-overview.php

and has a location finder but if it only two numbers following the xX then it's a very big square.

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 1st July 2015 at 16:05.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

I believe this might have to do with German maps. There is a 1:300000 german map whose page M54 (Schwerin) is the correct area for the crash. A copy of this map can be found here http://www.landkartenarchiv.de/uvm.p..._Ausg_1_I_1945. I still don't know what the T11 or T12 means. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Depends in what document your references are given.

You say Service Record so that suggests an english language document.

If it is orignally from a german document 1939-45 then it would normally be military grid in PlanQuadrant form eg starting with two capital letters.

For all references in english documents and those written post occupation then modified British Grid would be used except those using Admiralty Position Code.

You do not give any idea of context of the references to allow guidance on which part of Nord de Guerre zone Germany you suspect the references to apply but

wM5040 relates to Wiesbaden
    wT1010 relates to an area between Stuttgart and Munich
    wT1020 relates to an area slightly north west of wT1010

Does the context and positions above make sense with the documents you have?

Just a thought are they actually map references as you said or could they be target number codes?

M were Transportation Targets
    T was targets in Italy (T11 Vergiate - T12 Sesto San Giovanni)

Ross
    Last edited by Ross_McNeill; 2nd July 2015 at 07:08.
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Ross

The coordinates are listed in the crash investigation reports that were conducted after the war to find out the fate of the crashed halifax. The crash occurred between the villages of Stapel and Zeetze Germany. I found an allied map which is labelled M54 Schwerin which is of this area (http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/is...acrepo%3A26948). The map is of the rT area of the Nord de Guerre Zone of the Modified British System, which is where Stapel and Zeetze are located. I don't know what the T11 refers to, as you should need a set of 2 numbers to identify a location, but T11 is the right area for the first vertical coordinate of the towns (ie T11--).

Thanks

Ross

I should correct that they are listed as Map Reference, not coordinates. So it would be Map Reference M54 T11

David