Thread: Window

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Window

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the various sizes ( width & length ) of the window strips were, and what dimension effected what German radar system.

I have three types of "window" each a different size ranging from 5mm wide to 12mm wide but all about the same length.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Steve,

Window actually came in a wide range of lengths, widths, folds and quantities per bundle - 12 combinations in fact. These has the designations Type A, C, E, F, F3, N, N3, MB, MC, MC2, MD2 and MM.

5mm width would be type E but both Type F and Type N were 5.5mm wide so could be any of the three. Again all three of these were either 25 or 26cm long but were packed in different bundle quantities. A width of 12mm doesn't quite fit with any of the dimensions I have but is closest to type A which was 15mm wide and initially 30 cm long but later shortened to 27cm

The various types of window were used against various German radars and often a single type of window could work against more that one radar type. Window, in various types, was effective against Freya, Seetakt, Wurzburg, FuG202, 212, 216, 217, 218 and 220.

Full details of all the types of Window and the radar systems each was targeted against can be found in the Appendices to "Confound and Destroy" by Martin Streetly. If you drop me a PM with an e-mail address I'll send you a scan of the relevant table.

All the best, J

Thanks

John,

A belated thank you.

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~