Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Command Air Traffic Officer, NEAF, 1966

Thanks

Default Command Air Traffic Officer, NEAF, 1966

Hi all,

I am looking for the correct name of post of the officer responsible for the ATC in particular command, in my particular case it was the NEAF in 1966, I got an information referred it was called Command Air Traffic Officer? I am also interested which rank he will hold.

TIA

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz

Thanks

Pavel, Hi,

If nobody comes up with the answer then you may have to do it the hard way!! I am fairly certain that I remember a post of CATCO at HQ NEAF. The HQ NEAF ORB for early 1966 seems to be at AIR 24/3001 in TNA (but not digitised!). Alternatively, you might have to try from the other end with the ORBs for EPISKOPI and/or AKROTIRI!

HTH

Peter Davies
    Last edited by Resmoroh; 4th July 2015 at 09:44. Reason: QSD
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Pavel

Staff Officers are listed in the Air Force List and the Command Air Traffic Control Officer (CATCO) is usually part of the Air Staff.

Unfortunately I don't have the full list for 1966 but in 1961 there is a Wg Cdr F W Dewell as CATCO at HQ MEAF.

By 1963 there is no CATCO listed on the Air Staff of HQ NEAF and there still isn't one listed in 1968.

Malcolm

Thanks

I wonder if SATCO Akrotiri wore "two hats"? One as SATCO and the other as CATCO NEAF?
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

I think you are probably correct Peter but the post of CATCO seems to disappear from HQ NEAF after 1961, so if SATCO carried out the duties of CATCO he wasn't formally recognised as such

Malcolm

Thanks

Hi chaps, thanks fo all your posts. For my case I would stay with the CATCO.
    If reminiscences which I am using as a source are correct, CATCO/SATCO HQ NEAF should be 48 666 W/Cdr Leslie Francis Ralls.

Pavel

Thanks

Hi Pavel,

Spring 1966 AFL gives W/C Ralls as Operations and Air Plans with seniority of 28.5.64

As Malcolm has said no establishment in NEAF of Air Traffic Control but the position is filled in MEAF by S/L E Bairstow MBE.

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Hi Ross,

many thanks for this. It seems to me my story is going to be a little bit complicated...
    I believe that my man met W/C Ralls at RAF Akrotiri because he knows him from previous service.
    But the question is if this man would be the right for report of medical problems disqualifing my man from the ATC service?

Possibly my source mixed up two persons or two different meetings into one?

Pavel

Thanks

Leslie Francis RALLS OBE was born on 20 Dec 1916 and was an air traffic controller on the Operations staff at HQ Near East Air Force - but that does not necessarily mean he was a CATCO!

To answer Pavel's question it might be that your man had the issues judged by Ralls and it was on Ralls recommendation that action in this case was taken - do tell more.

Ralls died in 1973 in Hampshire but I think by then he had retired because the name does not appear in either the St Clems or Alrewas Rolls of Honour.

Colin Cummings

Thanks

Hi Colin,

thanks for your post. To follow the rules of this forum (still living persons) I will be not particular:

I got info from reminiscenses of one ATC Officer and also from relative of W/C Ralls, that he was CATCO, resp. Chief air Traffic Control Officer in Cyprus in the 60s.

Problem I am trying to solve - my man had a hearing problems and after medical examination in Cyprus he was told he is unfit for ATC duty. So he went to see the CATCO (as he stated) who was W/C Ralls (as he stated) who confirmed to him that it would be impossible to stay within the ATC and that my man should be tranfered to another ground duty.

Re your information - W/C Ralls retired in 1972 but died in Oct 1976 (I was told).

Pavel