Thread: 197 Sqn June 44 - a couple of target refs to decipher

Thanks

Default 197 Sqn June 44 - a couple of target refs to decipher

Hello everyone

I'm doing a bit of research into a local pilot, 169431 F/O Jack Watson D.F.C. of 197 Sqn, who was from Fencehouses, County Durham. He was killed on June 17th 1944 near Caen in Typhoon 1b MN269 OV-W, but I've come across a couple of his Ops around D-Day that I'm struggling to decipher.

I have a couple of references for targets attacked by 197 Sqn on June 6th and June 16th 1944, and wondered if anyone could help. The June 6th one is given as 'GHQ Target XII/30, SE of Bayeux' in the ORB From 540, and the June 16th one is a bridge at map reference U.219792, which I think may refer to a bridge over the River Orne at Thury-Harcourt.

Can anyone help decipher what 'Target XII/30' might be, and a location for the map reference?

Many thanks

Simon

Thanks

Hello

not exactly sure about the 16th June 1944 reference, but it may be a bridge at Cabourg, according to http://www.echodelta.net/mbs/eng-translation.php

but it depends on the grid you use. I used French Lambert zone 1, as the nord de guerre put it north of Verdun, way too far.

good luck

Joss

Thanks

Many thanks for the reply Joss.

The link from the Co-ordinate Translator shows a position right next to the bridge in Cabourg that the D513 ( which is now called the Rue du General de Gaulle/Avenue du General Leclerc) crosses the River Dives. Cabourg wasn't liberated until August 21st, so that's a real possbility.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wwrsimon View Post
    Hello everyone

I have a couple of references for targets attacked by 197 Sqn on June 6th and June 16th 1944, and wondered if anyone could help. The June 6th one is given as 'GHQ Target XII/30, SE of Bayeux' ...

Can anyone help decipher what 'Target XII/30' might be, and a location for the map reference?

Many thanks
    Simon
    Hello Simon, that first part is probably a GHQ List, Target Reference Number? I believe these Roman Numeral refs also appear in US documents? Example here:-

http://www.8thafhs.com/target_one.php?target_id=5118

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 9th July 2015 at 09:55.

Thanks

Thanks Mark.

I posted the question on the 12 O'Clock High forum, and it seems 197 Sqn attacked a German Wehrmacht HQ at Chateau le Parc, SE of Bayeux. The ORB 540 and 541 confirm that two sections of four Typhoons attacked, one led by W/C Baker, the other by Sqn Ldr Taylor.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

A quick update. A reply on the 12OCH forum says that the June 6th target was a chateau and gives the reference 076752. I'm struggling to translate this into a map reference SE of Bayeux using the co-ordinate translator.

Regards

Simon

Thanks

UPDATE EDIT - the reference may be 876752, which equates to Le Grand Parc (near Coulombs), which was the site of a German communications centre in June 1944. I'm checking up on a few details.

Regards

Simon