Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cadet Sergeant E T Rees

Thanks

Just a little more on Ernest Rees, he was mentioned in despatches for "gallant and distinguished service" during the Battle of Britain. I presume he was ground crew but like many had aspirations to fly and was accepted for pilot training. Such a shame that his nine year in the RAF ended so tragically.
    Max
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

Max,

I'm being a bit slow on the uptake, but given the number of Rees's in llanelli it would be worth your while putting a letter in the Llanelli Star (http://www.llanellistar.co.uk/contact.html) explaining your interest and asking if anyone knows the family. In the event of a hit it is just possible a photo might be forthcoming (one can but hope). I've done this a few times myself with a reasonable amount of success.

Brian

Thanks

Thanks again Brian, yes I had it in mind to write to the local Press, it's how I found the family members of two of the crew of ME453 so I know it can work. I have a poor reproduction of a photograph of Rees but I'm sure his family will have a much better one. I'm going to be developing a website called "RATG Boys" which will document many aspects of the training, mishaps and characters from those far off Rhodesian days.
    Max
    Max Williams
    www.ordinarycrew.co.uk
    the story of Lancaster ME453

Thanks

Default Re: Cadet Sergeant E T Rees

Quote Originally Posted by Galgos View Post
    I've just been through the ORBs in more detail regarding the accident and Ree's fate. The accident itself is listed in the RATG Headquarters ORB, taking place on 14/4/43. The ORB for 28 EFTS Mt Hampden however states:

"14 May 1943 No. 524559 Sgt Rees E. T., a cadet under training with 25C course, was involved in a collision on the aerodrome and subsequently died of his injuries."

So apologies to the CWGC, they were correct with his date of death, it's a coincidence that it's exactly a month after the crash. I intend to follow this up, it's given me a real eagerness to research the training and fate of many of those who went to Rhodesia.....I can see a new website coming up! Incidentally my present website "An Ordinary Crew" is down temporarily due to an as yet unexplained fault with the server over in the US of A. Somewhat frustrating!
    Max
    This old thread has intrigued me. We seem to have two ORBs offering different dates:
    28 EFTS say 14 May 43
    RATG say 14 Apr 43

Now it strikes me that it might be more likely for the EFTS to have the accurate date. The RATG would after all only be compiling their ORB using information supplied by the various EFTS.
    Also, look at the wording of the EFTS entry:
    "14 May 1943 No. 524559 Sgt Rees E. T., a cadet under training with 25C course, was involved in a collision on the aerodrome and subsequently died of his injuries."
    To me, that's a really strange way of describing the death of someone who had crashed a month earlier. It says "14 May....was involved in a collision...and subsequently died...". All of this could have happened on the same day and it would still read correctly (maybe he crashed in the morning and died in the evening). If he had crashed on 14 April 1943 surely they would write something like "14 May 1943... Sgt Rees...died of his injuries following a collision...in April" (or something similar).

Also of interest is that I believe that Tiger Moth T7474 was itself struck off charge on 14 May 43 - can anyone confirm this?. As we know, it was not uncommon for an aircraft to be struck off on the same day that it crashed. It would be yet another huge coincidence for it to be struck on the very day he died.

Thanks

Default Re: Cadet Sergeant E T Rees

Hi Andy,

This may or may not help with the above, but:-

Ernest Thomas REES
    Usual Place of Residence: "Mt. Hampden Air Station, Salisbury"
    Date of Death: 14 May 1943
    Place of Death: Salisbury Hospital
    Cause of Death: Fractured base of skull. Died from head injuries following air accident
    Duration of Last Illness: Not stated

From the 'Information of a Death' form on FamilySearch
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...286&cc=1838530

I would agree that the ORB of his home unit is more likely to be correct.

Incidentally, Col's point raised in post #6 may be explained by the Graves Registration Report on Rees' CWGC entry. Grave 95 contained
    735 Cadet Sgt G. Koilakos RHAF
    until his grave was exhumed and repatriated on 17 Nov 1983.

His date of death is 13 Apr 43, which fits with the rest of the sequence in Col's post. Note that his equivalent Information of a Death form gives his name as 'George Keelakos'
    https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...199&cc=1838530