Thread: AVM Robert Dickinson Oxland – Met Man?

Thanks

Default AVM Robert Dickinson Oxland – Met Man?

Hello All,

I’m ploughing my way through the LG uniformed Met Persons (s’like painting the Forth Bridge – when you’ve finished you go back to the beginning and start all over again!).

Robert Dickinson Oxland is shown in RAFWEB's AO Biogs (and in one of the AFL ‘wiring diagrams’) as being the Flt Lt Met Officer at HQ RAF Iraq on 13 Oct 1921, the Flt Lt Met Officer at HQ RAF Middle East on 14 Jan 1923 and 15 Jul 1923. I am aware that being an RAF uniformed ‘Met Officer’ immediate post-WW1 was rather more in the way of being the liaison officer between the Forecast Centre and the Station/Sqns than actually being a Forecaster! Later, Oxland was at HQ BC in WW2 closely involved with the D-Day BC effort (and, probably, got some ‘stick’ from the BC Boss??!!).

Where do I go for more info - assuming there is any?

TIA
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

Hi Peter - what question are you trying to answer? AVM Oxland gets a few mentions in Charles Carrington's book 'A Soldier at Bomber Command'. Not likely to give you answers to specific questions about his service history, but it outlines his Overlord involvement.

Richard

I wrote in my journal on 10 April 1944: 'A fortnight at Bomber Command revives my impression of the efficiency of this smooth-running organisation.'

During the year I had been away the Command had doubled in size, an expansion that similarly changed the character of the headquarters, which was no longer a cosy family party. Everyone had stepped up, beginning with Saundby, who was now 'Sir Robert' and Deputy Commander-in-Chief. His importance had been magnified by two assistant Air Vice-Marshals, Walmsley and Oxland, both of them with the grade of SASO, a most odd arrangement. Walmsley conducted the nightly routine of operating against industrial targets, whilst Oxland dealt with the diversions and distractions, such as OVERLORD. His full title was SASO(SB), for 'Strategic Bombing', a new misuse of the expression ... [Oxland] was older than the rest of us, a senior in the Service who had been quietly and competently commanding No 1 Bomber Group, while more brilliant men such as Slessor and Saundby were promoted over his head. His distinction in the Air Marshals' club was that in October, 1936, he had been in the chair at the committee meeting when the Air Ministry took the momentous decision to switch production over to four-engine 'Heavies' ... of all the Air Chiefs he was the most resolute champion of Bomber orthodoxy.' pp136-137
    Last edited by Richard; 15th July 2015 at 17:43. Reason: Added quote