Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAF Station Hospital Yatesbury

Thanks

Default RAF Station Hospital Yatesbury

Gents,

Looking for details on this hospital, has anyone ever accessed any avialable documents, or the station.

Any help / advice most welcome.

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

Default RAF Yatesbury

I was stationed at Yatesbury in 1943/44 for my WOP/AIR training but I don't recall there being a hospital. I think the nearest RAF hospital was at Wroughton, still in Wiltshire.

Thanks

Steve,

I live 9-10 miles from what used to be Yatesbury airfield, and so far as I'm aware there was never a hospital there. As Hugh says Wroughton is the only place in the locality at which there was a military hopital - but it is a mile east of the airfield.

So far as Yatesbury is concerned there is this entry in 'Wings over Wiltshire' by Rod Priddle:

"A large ambulance section was maintained, serviced and driven by WAAFs at Yatesbury. The vehicles were on the road continually, particularly after the D-day landings on 6 June 1944. Most journeys were to the south coast port of Southampton from where wounded personnel had to be transported to various hospitals all over the country."

'Wings over Wiltshire' also records that the Wroughton hospital was selected to be the largest Casualty Clearing Station in the UK. It opened on 14 June 1941 under the command of Gp Capt E C Foreman, and closed on 31 March 1996.

7505th USAF Hospital was located nearby at Burderop; this operated from 1942 to 1945 and 1951 to 1965.

Brian

Thanks

Further to my last post 'Wings over Wiltshire' devotes 17 pages to Yatesbury's history, and includes maps and many photographs. It should be available through your library.

Brian

Thanks

Gents,

Thanks for your help on this matter.

I have the Personnel records of an airman who was recorded as Admitted Station Hospital Yatesbury it was only a period of 9 days. ( 06.02.43 to 15.02.43 ) Would this have been the result of a flying accident or another non flying condition. ?

Regards

Steve
    No.218 (Gold Coast) Squadron Association Historian
    No.623 squadron Research

~~IN TIME ~~

Thanks

You could try accessing the ORB for the Station Hospital, Yatesbury, held in the National Archives under AIR 29/948, although I doubt it would list daily patients. Alternatively if you have his personnel record that should tell you why he was at Yatesbury. Even if he was there for WOp training he could have been admitted to hospital for any illness as well as injuries sustained in an accident. Come to think of it, doesn't the record indicate why he was admitted? Whilst I've only seen 2 or 3 of these, but they've always indicated the reason why an individual was admitted to hospital.

Brian

Thanks

Default Station Hospital

G'day Steve

There was indeed a hospital at Yatesbury.

The following gen is from the Air Ministry publication 'Geographical Index of R.A.F. Units - October 1944 (Amended to SEPTEMBER 23rd 1944)'

Station Hospital
    R.A.F. Station Yatesbury
    Mailing Address: Yatesbury, Calne, Wilts.
    Telegraphic Address:Aeronautics, Yatesbury
    Telephone Number: Calne 256

Cheers...Chris

Thanks

Default Yatesbury Hospital

Me again!

I fprgot to mention that yatesbury was part of No. 27 Group of R.A.F. Technical Training Command.

Cheers...Chris

Mark. H Guest

Default Yatesbury Hospital

Hi Steve

I have the personal records of my father which also show an entry 'Adm. Stn Hosp. Yatesbury' '2/3/43' and 'Discharged Stn. Hospital Yatesbury' '18/3/43'. There is no reason given for him being there.

I think at the time, he was undergoing training as a W/O and A/G prior to joining 37 Squadron in Italy via 21 OTU.

Entries in his records just prior to his admission to hospital read:

4 ITW 27.6.42
    A.C.D.W 4.8.42
    10.(S.)R.C 3.9.42
    2 SS Yatesbury 24.12.42

and after discharge:

2 RS.
    1 ACW Yatesbury 21.5.43
    2 RS
    3 (O) AFO 31/8/3

Would you or anybody else know what all these Acronyms mean? I doubt they would have any bearing on the hospital stay looking at the dates.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Mark.

Thanks

Default RAF Station Hospital Yatesbury

The following may (or may not) be useful and/or relevant and/or interesting:

TWEEDIE, Ida Curina, Nurse (VAD), Royal Air Force Nursing Service - Station Yatesbury, Technical Training Command - Associate of the Royal Red Cross - awarded as per London Gazette dated 1 January 1943. Citation in Public Record Office Air 2/8871 (courtesy of Steve Brew).

"This V.A.D. Nursing Sister has performed outstanding work since the outbreak of the war. She has during the past six months been employed in the operating theatre and is trained in anaesthetics in case of emergency."