Thread: MAP / Ministry of Aircraft Production Employees

Thanks

Default MAP / Ministry of Aircraft Production Employees

Hello All

Seeking any information about Employees, employed directly by MAP in WW2, later Ministry of Supply (MoS) and their files or Record of Service?

Any equivalent to AIR 78 please, to check out MAP employees?

Thanks Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 16th July 2015 at 10:41.

Thanks

Mark, Hi,
    There might just still be some MAP pensioners. There will, probably, still be some MoS pensioners. The mechanics of paying Civil Service pensions is currently in the hands of a commercial concern. They will, presumably, be working from a List. That List will, probably, still contain the details of deceased pensioners. It might, therefore, be assumed that there is, in fact, a List. But I suspect that gaining access to that List, or even getting 'Them' to admit that there is such a List, would be more difficult than getting access to MI5/SIS/GCHQ! In the few decades after WW2 there was what might be called 'archival vandalism' on an industrial scale in many Ministries with the shredding/burning/weeding of many documents which would, nowadays, be regarded as research gold-mines. I fear you are on a hiding to nothing!!
    HTH
    Peter Davies
    Meteorology is a science; good meteorology is an art!
    We might not know - but we might know who does!

Thanks

You could try the Civil Service List (available at Kew). Unfortunately this will, in the main, only include the more senior CS types.
    In fond memory of Corporal James Oakland AGC (RMP), killed in action in Afghanistan on 22 October 2009. Exemplo Ducemus.

Thanks

Hello Peter and Jonny

I think it might be worth enquiring to RAF PMA to see if they know.

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 17th July 2015 at 07:28.

Thanks

Mark

The AVIA 43 class at The National Archives contains a handful of selected personal files from MAP/MOS (Tizard, Watson-Watt etc). Interestingly under the "Selection and destruction information" heading of the class description for those records it states: "The vast majority of personal files are destroyed five years after the death of the individual concerned, or upon their 85th birthday." Presumably this was/is standard Civil Service "policy".

Organisational directories for MAP (from 1943 onwards) are in AVIA 33. I've never reviewed them so have no idea what they may contain.

One point to bear in mind I suppose is that a great many of MAP's "employees" were in fact serving RAF officers - AVM Wilfrid Freeman's directorates (research, development, production etc) were transferred in toto to the new ministry when it was formed. Presumably these officers continued to appear in the Confidential editions of the Air Force List?

Niall

Thanks

Just to comment on Niall's point, RAF Officers serving at MAP continued to be shown in the gradation lists of the Air Force Lists but their postings at MAP were not shown in the AFLs as these only shown Air Ministry postings or the CAFLs which for most of the war only showed Command and Group HQs.

Malcolm

Thanks

Hello

Thank you Niall, Malcolm, Peter and Jonny.

I have also seen an MoD reference to this rule of 85 years from joining, regarding retention of WW2 Service Files.

However, the MoD feel that keeping the Service Record Card only will be enough to deal with most enquiries.

The MoD were hoping circa 1980, the PRO would take them, but I get the impression that TNA really don't want the files (due to the number) and have been forming 'selection policies' to refuse them.

I will let you know about MAP civilian record of service.

Regards Mark
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 18th July 2015 at 11:26.

Thanks

Default MAP & Ministry of Supply Employees

SR: RE: Service Record of MAP & MoS, RAE Employees

Dear Mr Hood

Thank you for contacting The National Archives of the United Kingdom.

According to information from our online research guidance on the subject of civil servants, 'The Ministry of Defence kept civilian service records until the person reached 100 years of age. Contact the Ministry of Defence for more details on how to access these records. Personal information will only be released where proof of death can be provided.'

There is a link on how to apply for information from the Ministry of Defence in the guide which you can access by clicking the link

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rown-servants/ Civil and Crown servants' under the 'Did you know?' section.

I wish you all the best with your research.

Yours sincerely,

Sheila Gopaulen

Remote Enquiries Duty Officer
    www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    Last edited by Mark Hood; 20th July 2015 at 08:50. Reason: Link