Thread: Wellington Bomber R1602 destroyed 10th March 1942

Thanks

Default Wellington Bomber R1602 destroyed 10th March 1942

R1602 10th March 1942

This aircraft was unable to operate from its base at RAF Lindholme due to bad weather conditions and the extreme wet state of this aerodrome. It took off from RAF Swanton Morley on a mission to bomb the Krupp Works at Essen. Not all the aircraft were able to bomb the primary target but all did bomb military targets. On its return, P/O Alfred Osadzinski was forced to land at RAF Oakington because of fuel shortage. Whilst he and his crew were being debriefed, another incoming aircraft struck R1602 and both aircraft were destroyed in the ensuing fire.

Can anyone help with more detail on this incident, please

Thanks

In Bomber Command Losses 1942 by Chorley there is a record for 101 Sqn Wellington III X3642 SR-G crash landing and catching fire at Oakington at 02:45 on 10/3/42. It had taken off from Bourn at 19:30 the previous evening for a mission to Essen. The pilot was a Sgt Ward. He and all his crew survived the crash. Only injury was a P/O Waterkeyn who was admitted to the RAF hospital at Ely. I'm guessing this is likely to have been the aircraft that hit R1602.

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for your response. This has everything going for it - not least of which is the fact that it occurred on the same day at the same RAF Station! I will check out all the details before completing my web site entry but I feel sure that this must be the one. Thanks again for your information.

Neville

Thanks

Hi Neville,

From the 101 Sqn ORB:

Sgt Ward damaged by flak crash landed at Oakington, crew injured when aircraft took fire.

Regards,

Dave

Thanks

Thanks Dave,

In the short time since Norfolkjohn answered this question, you have confirmed his answer and I have found five other confirmations against the aircraft serial number. There was no other crash landing and fire at Oakington that day and this must be the right aircraft.

My thanks to you both.

Neville