Thread: Johnny Weston McEndoe patient

Thanks

Default Johnny Weston McEndoe patient

Looking for info about a bomber command airman called Johnny Weston very badly burned and had massive skin grafts under the treatment of McEndoe. Sorry no other information or squadron!

Any help greatly appreciated

Peter

Thanks

Google book search:
    The reconstruction of warriors: Archibald McIndoe, the Royal Air ...
    E. R. Mayhew - 2004 - 239 pages - Snippet view

"Similarly, Guinea Pig Johnnie Weston was badly burned at his Filbeck station when a damaged Lancaster hit buildings, killing 64 and injuring many others"

I can't tease more out of it. Can you give the context of where you got the name, the sentence its from. i'm reading else wehre that 24 people were injured, 15 fatally! it might be an issue with the scanning.

woudl this be the aircraft:
    http://bomberhistory.co.uk/49squadron/Roll%20of%20honour/Roll_G/Garratt_MJC.html

Lancaster PB463, 49 Sqn Crashed at Fulbeck. 1945
    Last edited by dennis_burke; 7th March 2011 at 17:47.
    Dennis Burke
    - Dublin

Foreign Aircrew and Aircraft Ireland 1939-1945
    www.ww2irishaviation.com

Thanks

On 22nd April 1945 Lancaster PB463 with 6 crew aboard beat up Fulback on the way to their new base, Syerston. As the pilot pulled up, the tail hit the MT shed and crashed into 5015 Works Flight who were on parade. 10 died immediately, 2 on 23rd, 2 on 28th and the last one 0n 8th. May. 4 were injured, 1 seriously and 2 dangerously including AC1 J. Weston (Beware of the Dog at War - 49 Sq. 1916-65)

Thanks

Default Weston

Thanks to everyone. in answer to Dennis I was talking to the son of Johnny Weston. I will tryto contact him again and verify what has been found.

Thanks
    Peter

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for this information about my grandfather. I remember listening to stories from him about his time at East Grinstead but never knew when he was injured or where he was stationed when the Lancaster crashed. My father (Johnny's son Colin) has also passed away now, but I'm really grateful about this information for when people ask me about the Guinea Pig Club.

Regards,
    Craig Weston

Thanks

Dear Craig
    There is a Roll of Honour, big wooden board with all the names of the Guinea Pigs painted on it, on the wall in the Queen Victoria hospital in East Grinstead. It is outside some of the wards. Your grandfather may be on it. A new statue to McIndoe was put up in East Grinstead last year outside the old Sackville College. It is very good.
    Best wishes
    James

Thanks

The Roll of Honour is in the Canadian Wing, easily accessible to the public.
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS

Thanks

Craig / Peter.

As part of my RAFA work, I regularly visit a 92 year old member of the Guinea Pig Club who lives locally, when I spoke to him today to check that he is ok for a chat next week I asked him if he had known Johnny Weston at East Grinstead, and straight away he said yes, so I will speak to him next week to see what he remembers.

Robin.

Thanks

Thank James, Bruce and Robin. Any information is great as talking to other members of my family we plan to create a Wikipedia page in memory of my granddad and the Guinea Pig Club before he is forgotten altogether. Since moving away from Lancashire I now live in Gravesend, Kent so I plan to visit the Queen Victoria Hospital soon and also the museum (which I believe now hosts the Guinea Pig Club history). It's a shame the old Guinea Pig pub is gone now, it would have been great to visit the pub that my Granddad would have spent a lot of his time in! :)
    Best regards,
    Craig

Thanks

Hello Craig,
    The Guinea Pig Museum collection is now part of the East Grinstead Museum. The hospital ran out of room.

http://www.eastgrinsteadmuseum.org.uk/guinea-pig-club/

I suggest contacting them before travelling.

Hope this helps,
    Bruce
    http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/
    RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS