Thread: PROBLEM WITH OTUs

Thanks

Default PROBLEM WITH OTUs

I am trying to trace a photograph of a Polish airman from the OTU Group Photos but there is a lot of confusion over which OTU. The Squadron ORB has him arriving from 6 OTU in early August 1942 but other sources suggest that 6 OTU was, at that time, training fighter pilots and my man was a wireless operator/air gunner (in 304 Squadron, once qualified).

I have been able to track photos of all the other crew members of the plane in which he was killed and all of them came down the same route. Can anyone suggest how I might pin this man down to a specific course number

Thanks

I would suggest filtering your sources for the tasking of the OTU for mis-information and downright bullshit.

In July/Aug 1942 they lost numerous Hudsons out of Thornaby which even without digging deeper suggests that they were not training fighter pilots.

A good quality source for unit locations and equipment is on the link RAF Commands Home which can be found on the top banner bar of this forum.

http://www.rafcommands.com/Ross/Coastal/6_OTU_1.html

in particular

Ross
    The Intellectual Property contained in this message has been assigned specifically to this web site.
    Copyright Ross McNeill 2015/2018 - All rights reserved.

Thanks

Thank you!

And may I say that the last two words of your first sentence are admirable ...... they certainly strike a chord!

Neville

Thanks

Hi all, I have to say that the "word" strikes me fro the first sight as Neville mentioned:)

Anyway this is quite common mistake with confusion of the original 6 OTU (fighter) being renamed 56 OTU 1.11.1940

Pavel
    Czechoslovak Airmen in the RAF 1940-1945
    http://cz-raf.webnode.cz